How to Solve Vertical Spring and Pulley Homework Problems?

In summary, the tension in the two strings is equal to the weight of the two masses multiplied by the gravitational force. The acceleration of the system is negative.
Vxismyname
I have two homework problems i need help with one is:
1) A 4kg load is hanging on the bottom of a vertically positioned spring that stretches 10 cm down. Find K of the sping.

2) There are three blocks connected by a string. m1 is 10 kg, m2 is 20kg.
m1, and m2 are connected at the top of a surface and m3=1kg, is hanging of the end of a pulley. looks kinda like this:

[ m1 ]----[ m2 ]-----O
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [m3]

a) find the acceleration of the system.
b) the tension in the two strings

Physics news on Phys.org
Vxismyname said:
I have two homework problems i need help with one is:
1) A 4kg load is hanging on the bottom of a vertically positioned spring that stretches 10 cm down. Find K of the sping.

2) There are three blocks connected by a string. m1 is 10 kg, m2 is 20kg.
m1, and m2 are connected at the top of a surface and m3=1kg, is hanging of the end of a pulley. looks kinda like this:

[ m1 ]----[ m2 ]-----O
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [m3]

a) find the acceleration of the system.
b) the tension in the two strings

The first of these is a direct application of Hooke's Law. The restoring force of a spring is proportional to the amount it is stretched.

For your second problem, call the tensions in the strings T12, and T23. Use Newton's second law to write an F = ma equation for each of the three masses in the problem. This will give you three equations. Note that all the masses must have the same magnitude of acceleration, and that the motion will be in a clockwise sense. You will have three equations for three unknowns: T12, T23 and a. See if you can set up and solve those three equations.

im sorry i must be a complete idiot but i really cannot figure this out. I find that F= -kx. So For the first one do i multiply the 4kg weight by 9.8 to get Newtons and then divide by 10cm but convert that to meters so .1 meters. So 4kg (9.8) = 39.2 / .1 = 392 N/m is -k?

Yes that's correct but use -9.8 for gravity so k becomes a positive number that way -k is actually a negative value. Understand?

ok i think i got that last one thank you, as for my other problem i haven't a clue to figure it. For Tension do i just put T= (m1m2m3/m1+m2+m3)g? and what do i do to find acceleration?

1. What can I do if I am struggling with my physics homework?

If you are struggling with your physics homework, there are several things you can do. First, review your class notes and textbook to ensure you understand the concepts. You can also try working through practice problems or seeking help from a tutor or classmate. Additionally, online resources such as videos and interactive simulations can be helpful in understanding difficult concepts.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking detailed notes, practicing problems, and seeking clarification when needed. It can also be helpful to make connections between different concepts and real-world applications, and to regularly review and reinforce your understanding.

3. Can I use online resources for my physics homework?

Yes, there are many reputable online resources that can be used to help with physics homework. These can include websites with practice problems, videos, and interactive simulations. However, it is important to make sure that the resources you use are accurate and align with your class materials.

4. How can I check my answers for physics homework?

You can check your answers for physics homework by using the solutions provided in your textbook or by comparing your work with a classmate. It is also helpful to check your work using online resources or by seeking help from a tutor. Additionally, it is important to carefully review your work and double check for any errors or mistakes.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand a physics concept after completing my homework?

If you still don't understand a physics concept after completing your homework, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide further explanation and help clarify any misunderstandings. It can also be helpful to review the concept again and try approaching it from a different angle or using different resources.