1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Physics or M-Physics?

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I'm just after starting an Omnibus Science degree in UCD, Dublin, and I have to choose my first year subjects. I'm definitely doing Maths, but then the problems arise. My other options for first year are Computer Science, Biology, Maths Physics, Physics and Astrophysics. I'd like to do Computer Science out of interest and Biology as a contrast to my other options. In terms of Physics, my interests lie primarily with particle physics (from second level), which presumably takes in topics such as quantum mechanics at 3rd level (I wouldn't really know, only being in first year). Maths is my favourite subject, and the subject I plan to do my degree in eventually, but this could change! I've always been fascinated with the universe and how it works, and I've been following the news on the LHC in CERN, yet I didn't really think much of the majority of the Physics course in secondary school, particularly all those experiments. Am I making any sense? If I do Maths Physics, but don't take Physics, can I keep all these particle physics options open to me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2
    Are you talking about graduate school? If you're interested in a graduate program in particle physics, I would imagine you'll spend a decent amount of time doing lab work. If you're interested in the pure theoretical mathematics of particle physics (and perhaps cosmology with your stated interest in the universe), you could plan on a graduate program in theoretical physics with an eventual focus on particle physics.

Prof. Shankar from Yale has made jokes that you're not even allowed to get your PhD in theoretical physics until you've theorized the existence of a new elementary particle. lol
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?