Calculate Force and Period of Asteroid Orbit Around Sun | Physics Help ASAP!

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the magnitude of the force between four 1,000,000-kg masses arranged in a square, as well as determining the period of an asteroid in a circular orbit around the Sun with a radius of 1 AU. The process for finding the force involves calculating the vertical and horizontal components and using the Pythagorean theorem, while the period can be determined using the Earth's period and distance to the Sun.
o04jjang
HElp Physics problems...ASAP!

Four 1,000,000- kg masses are arranged in a square, 74meters on a side. To the nearest ten thousandth of a Newton, what is the magnitude of the force the mass in the lower left hand corner?

If the Earth's period is 365.25 days and its distance to the (center of the) Sun is one astronomical unit (AU), what is the period, to the nearest day, of an asteroid in a circular orbit about the Sun with a radius of AU?

Physics news on Phys.org
o04jjang said:
Four 1,000,000- kg masses are arranged in a square, 74meters on a side. To the nearest ten thousandth of a Newton, what is the magnitude of the force the mass in the lower left hand corner?

You've got 3 vectors... The force due to the top left hand mass on the lower left hand mass. The force due to the top right hand mass on the lower left hand mass. And the force due to the left right hand mass on the lower left hand mass.

I'd do it this way. Get the total vertical component of the force on the lower left hand mass first. That means the force due to the top left hand mass (which is vertically downward) with the VERTICAL component of the top right hand mass (so you'll need a little trigonometry here).

Then I'd get the total horizontal component. That means the force due to the bottom right hand mass (which is horizontal leftward) along with the HORIZONTAL component of the top right hand mass.

The two components are the same value... by symmetry. So you can actually just get the vertical, and then you know the horizontal is the same thing.

When you've gotten the two components, use the pythagorean theorem to get the total magnitude.

o04jjang said:
If the Earth's period is 365.25 days and its distance to the (center of the) Sun is one astronomical unit (AU), what is the period, to the nearest day, of an asteroid in a circular orbit about the Sun with a radius of AU?

Is the radius of the asteroid's orbit also 1 AU? You just wrote radius of AU but I want to make sure you didn't mistype.

Last edited:

To calculate the force on the mass in the lower left hand corner, we can use the formula for gravitational force: F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

In this case, m1 = 1,000,000 kg, m2 = 1,000,000 kg, and r = 74 meters. Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

F = (6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)(1,000,000 kg)(1,000,000 kg)/(74 meters)^2
= 0.0116 N

Therefore, the magnitude of the force on the mass in the lower left hand corner is approximately 0.0116 Newtons.

To calculate the period of an asteroid in a circular orbit around the Sun, we can use Kepler's third law: T^2 = (4π^2r^3)/(GM), where T is the period, r is the radius of the orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the Sun.

In this case, r = 1 AU and M = 1.989x10^30 kg (mass of the Sun). Plugging these values into the formula, we get:

T^2 = (4π^2)(1 AU)^3/(6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)(1.989x10^30 kg)
= 2.97x10^20 seconds^2

Taking the square root of both sides, we get:

T = √(2.97x10^20 seconds^2)
= 1.72x10^10 seconds

Converting this to days, we get:

T ≈ 1.72x10^10 seconds x (1 day/86,400 seconds)
≈ 199,074 days

Therefore, the period of an asteroid in a circular orbit around the Sun with a radius of 1 AU is approximately 199,074 days to the nearest day.

1. How do I approach solving a physics problem?

When solving a physics problem, it is important to first read the problem carefully and identify what is given and what is being asked. Then, draw a diagram and list out all relevant equations. Next, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check the answer for reasonableness and accuracy.

2. What are the most common mistakes made when solving physics problems?

One common mistake is using the wrong formula or equation, so it is important to double check that the equation being used is appropriate for the given problem. Another mistake is not considering the appropriate units for the given values and final answer. It is also important to be careful with calculations and rounding errors.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Practice is key when it comes to improving problem-solving skills in physics. Make sure to understand the underlying concepts and theories, and practice applying them to different types of problems. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor or teacher.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a particularly difficult physics problem?

If you are stuck on a difficult physics problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and solving them individually. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or looking for similar examples in your textbook or online. Don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

5. How can I prepare for a physics exam?

To prepare for a physics exam, make sure to review all notes, classwork, and homework assignments. Practice solving different types of problems and make sure to understand the underlying concepts. It can also be helpful to create flashcards or study guides, and to get a good night's rest before the exam.