Calculating Tension and Acceleration in a Rotating System

• Thread starter bard
  • Start date
In summary, to solve for the tension and acceleration of an object tied to a wheel with a light string, you need to apply Newton's 2nd law to both the mass and the wheel, using the rotational form for the wheel. By relating the two equations, you can solve for the tension and acceleration of the object, which are given by T = mR^2g/(I+mr^2) and a = mgr/I+mR^2, respectively.
bard
An object of mass m is tied to a light string wound around a wheel that has a moment of inertia I and radius R. The wheel bearing is frictionless and the string does not slip. find the tension and the acceleration of the object.

I think mg-T=ma

and that I=MR^2

thats all i know can someone help me please

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to apply Newton's 2nd law to each body: the mass and the wheel.
Originally posted by bard
I think mg-T=ma
Right. That's Newton's 2nd law applied to the mass.

Now apply it to the wheel, using the rotational form: Torque = I*α (you tell me the torque).

To relate the two equations, note that a = R*α.

Hi Doc Al,

Almost solved it
the a i use here will be angular acceleration

so

net torque=T*R or

Ia=T*R

Ia=(mg-mRa)R

Ia=mgr-mR^2a

Ia+mgR^2a=mgr
a(Ia+mR^2)=mgr

a=mgr/I+mR^2

for acceleration the tension is a=mR^2g/(I+mr^2)

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand and describe the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. How can I start learning about physics?

To get started with physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and scientific concepts. You can begin by studying basic physics principles such as motion, forces, and energy. It is also helpful to read textbooks, watch educational videos, and attend lectures or workshops.

3. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. Classical mechanics deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act upon them. Thermodynamics studies the transfer of heat and energy. Electromagnetism focuses on the relationship between electricity and magnetism. Optics deals with the behavior and properties of light. Modern physics includes quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is too difficult to understand. While it can be challenging, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn and understand the basic concepts. Another misconception is that physics is only relevant to the study of the universe and does not have practical applications. In reality, physics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

5. What skills are important for studying physics?

To study physics effectively, it is important to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These skills will help you analyze and interpret data, formulate hypotheses, and design experiments. Mathematical skills, such as algebra and calculus, are also essential for understanding and solving physics problems.