1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Please - Ball swinging from a rope

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    Help Please -- Ball swinging from a rope

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball of mass 30 kg is hanging from a rope of 3 meter tied to the roof of a truck. The truck is moving at a constant speed of 29.6 m/s. As you look forward at the ball hanging from the roof of the truck, you see the ball hanging to the right at an angle 45 from the horizontial.

1-What is the net force acting on the ball?

2-What is the radius of the curved path of the ball if one viewed the ball from overhead?

2. Relevant equations

marad=m(v^2/r)

3. The attempt at a solution

For part 1, I think you would just solve for the net force using marad but I just wanted confrim.

For part two, I have no idea where to even begin.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There appears to be information missing.
    i.e. is the truck moving to the left or the right? Is the ball on a rope set up as a linear pendulum or circular pendulum or something else?

Since the truck is moving at a constant speed, there is no special reason for the rope to be hanging at any particular angle except 0deg (equilibrium due to gravity). In question 2, viewed from overhead, the path of the ball would not be curved at all.

The problem is mainly geometry - but you need to describe the situation.
    Is there supposed to be a diagram?

4. Oct 13, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The truck is moving at constant speed, not constant velocity. If the rope hangs at a steady angle to one side, that tells us the trajectory of the truck.

Jbow615, I don't know what "marad" stands for, but yes, centripetal force is what you have to think about. What are the forces on the ball, and what is the relationship between their magnitudes?

5. Oct 13, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh that's the information missing... ?! <facepalm>
    So the truck goes "forward" and the ball hangs "to the right" of the direction of travel.

I figured marad means ##\small ma_{rad}## ... i.e. the mass times the centripetal acceleration.

"Where to begin" would be a free-body diagram of the ball ... what are the forces? What do they have to sum up to?

6. Oct 13, 2013 #5
    Ok I finally figured it out last night. Thank you guys for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted