Help please: career in finance.

In summary, the conversation is between a second year Physics Undergraduate who is planning to do a project on finance and is seeking suggestions for a topic. The project supervisor has suggested the Black-Scholes Model or the Monte-Carlo model and the student is also buying a book on options, futures, and derivatives to help with the project. The student also mentions having good math skills and the project counting for two third year courses. Another person in the conversation also mentions having a background in finance and suggests that the Black-Scholes model is similar to a heat flow partial differential equation.
samir9
Hi,
I'm a second year Physics Undergraduate (just completed my second year), and next year will be doing a project based around finance (which I want to get into after I finish my degree). I will be taking extra courses next year to supplement my aim (these courses include derivatives, equities, etc).

The thing is I don't know what I should base my project on, the standard abtract for the project is:

The Physics of The Black-Scholes Model (Dr OA Soloviev)

The student will have to investigate the similarities between the financial Black-Scholes model with market corrections and physics. The same projects can be also done by 4th year students. In this case, the level of complexity can be lifted up.

The project supervisor has his own company based on finance+physics:

http://www.ph.qmw.ac.uk/~oleg/MyHome.htm

http://www.econophysica.com/

Now he said I could either do the Black-Scholes Model, or pick something else, (such as the Monte- Carlo model), does anybody have any suggestions at to what I should pick? (bearing in mind I will be working from scratch knowledge wise (in the quant finance department), I do however have very good math skills, and can program C++) I'm also buying the book :

Hull, J.C.
Options, Futures, and other Derivatives

Which I've been told will be helpful. Because I want to get a good grade I will be starting the project over the Summer (it counts for 2 third year courses), and would like to get into good stead before my final year.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As fate would have it, I also did an undergraduate degree in finance, as a backup.

As far as the Black Scholes model is concerned, I haven't read the paper in any great detail, but from what I gathered the solution to their option pricing equation looks like the heat flow partial differential equation, with some suitable boundary conditions (imposed by the finance aspect).

If your skills are as you say, then I think this could be quite doable.

Lol I Cant Help ..i Almost Did A Project On It..havent Though ...keep Checking ..u Might Find Someone Who Have Done The Exact Same One.

1. What are the essential skills needed for a career in finance?

The essential skills needed for a career in finance include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, strong mathematical skills, communication and interpersonal skills, and a solid understanding of financial concepts and markets.

2. Is a degree in finance necessary for a career in finance?

While a degree in finance is not always required, it is highly recommended as it provides a strong foundation in financial principles and concepts. Many employers also prefer candidates with a finance degree.

3. What are the different career paths in finance?

There are various career paths in finance, including investment banking, financial planning and analysis, corporate finance, risk management, and financial consulting. It is essential to research and determine which path aligns with your interests and skills.

4. How can I gain experience in finance while still in school?

You can gain experience in finance while still in school by participating in internships, joining finance-related clubs and organizations, and taking courses in finance and economics. You can also network with professionals in the field and seek out mentorship opportunities.

5. What are the future job prospects for a career in finance?

The job prospects for a career in finance are promising, with a projected growth rate of 6% from 2018 to 2028. The demand for financial professionals is expected to increase due to the growing complexity of financial markets and the need for expertise in areas such as risk management and financial technology.