1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Please! Energy Conservation!

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    Please help me, this is due tonight at 11 and I can't figure out what to do!

" A 17 kg child descends a slide 3.5 m high and reaches the bottom with a speed of 2.5 m/s. How much thermal energy due to friction was generated in this process?"

The equation should be:

kinetic energy intiial + potential energy initial = ke (final) + pe (final) + friction X distance travelled

1/2mv^2 (initial) + mgy (initial) = 1/2mv^2 (final) + mgy(final) + Friction X d

The problem is I don't know d!

0 (no initial KE) + (9.8)(17)(3.5) = 1/2(17)(2.5)^2 + 0 (no final potential energy) + friction X d!

What is D!

I tried making the slide a right triangle with 45 degree angles for the other two and using the pythagorean theorem...and got 5 for the distance..but I got a wrong answer..

huh, could someone PLEASE help me!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2
    You dont need D to find out the answer, one second ill post my toughts.

ok lets see... forgive me if im wrong...

Change E system = Change E mechanical + Change E thermal

E thermal is the friction and its equal to friction force times delta S

Change in mechanical energy is Eo-Ef... so 0 = Eo-Ef + E thermal

-E thermal = Eo - Ef
    - E thermal = PEo - KEf
    E thermal = Kef-PEo
    E thermal = -530.025 J

Alright i hope this helps and anyone correct me if im wrong... thanks
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    Thanks. Hmm , my class hasn't learned how to do that yet. Is there any way to do it with the PE + KE = KE + PE + Fr (d)???
  5. Oct 19, 2005 #4
    thats exactly what im doing except im not using the distance...

(PEo + KEo) - (PEf+KEf) = - Work Friction (which is equal to Fr (d) ) Oo

if you need to do further work with the friction you can use the result i got and do

Work friction = Force friction (d)

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5
    Doh! You are right, seiya, the answer is 530. The friction work is Friction X d. For some reason I thought I was just looking for the force of friction. Stupid me.

Thank you for the help! :)
  7. Oct 19, 2005 #6
    you are welcome , just helping while thinking about my problem and hoping someone will give me a hint :p
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?