Find angle given tension and friction?

In summary: Maybe try something like this: in the first equation, solve for x and in the second equation, solve for y. Then combine the two equations to get your answer.
theintarnets
Help Please! Find angle given tension and friction?

Homework Statement

An initially stationary box of sand is to be pulled across a floor by means of a cable in which the tension should not exceed 1100 N. The coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor is 0.35. (a) What should be the angle between the cable and the horizontal in order to pull the greatest possible amount of sand, and (b) what is the weight of the sand and box in that situation?

Homework Equations

Tcosθ = μFn
mg = Fn + Tsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there's an easy way to do this using derivatives, but my professor didn't teach us that method and expects us to solve it some other way. I'm not sure what to do, I can't seem to eliminate the variables. Help please? I know the answer is just the arctan of .35, I just don't know how to get there...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi theintarnets! :smile:
theintarnets said:
Tcosθ = μFn
mg = Fn + Tsinθ

that's right! :smile:

now put T = 1100, eliminate θ, and solve for Fn :wink:

Erm, how do I eliminate theta?

square :wink:

Your professor is right, you don't need to do any derivatives. You have enough information in your two equations. Only rearranging the two equations is required. You can eliminate theta or Fn, whichever you prefer.

Edit: sorry for stepping your toes tiny-tim.

I tried squaring... But I'm still left with the unknowns m and theta. I can't seem to figure out how to eliminate Fn either. I'm really confused.

theintarnets said:
I tried squaring... But I'm still left with the unknowns m and theta.

how do you get left with a θ ? :confused:

show us what you did :smile:

Fn is probably a bit easier to eliminate, so maybe try that. You've got two equations, each containing Fn once. I'm guessing you've done similar problems where you have two simultaneous equations? So try to think of how you solve simultaneous equations.

1. What is the relationship between tension and friction when determining an angle?

The tension and friction forces act in opposite directions, with tension pulling on an object and friction resisting its movement. The angle between these two forces can be calculated using trigonometry.

2. How do you calculate the angle given tension and friction?

To calculate the angle, you can use the formula tan θ = Ff/Ft, where θ is the angle, Ff is the friction force, and Ft is the tension force.

3. Can the angle be negative when calculating tension and friction?

Yes, the angle can be negative if the tension force is greater than the friction force, resulting in a negative tangent value.

4. How does the magnitude of the tension and friction forces affect the angle?

A larger tension force will result in a smaller angle, while a larger friction force will result in a larger angle. The relationship between these forces and the angle is inverse.

5. Can the angle change if the tension and friction forces change?

Yes, the angle will change if either the tension or friction force changes. As these forces are directly related to the angle, any change in their magnitude will result in a different angle.