Help please? I dont get this one?

• Thread starter thename1000
  • Start date
In summary, a long current-carrying wire oriented North-South on a table causes a compass to deflect 12 degrees to the West, indicating a horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic field of 2e-5 tesla at that location. The question then asks for the magnetic field at a specific location 2.7 cm to the East of the wire, due only to the current in the wire. To solve this, one must first find the magnetic field due to the wire alone, given the direction and magnitude of the Earth's magnetic field. From there, the current in the wire can be determined and used to calculate the magnetic field at the desired location.
thename1000
A long current-carrying wire, oriented North-South, lies on a table (it is connected to batteries which are not shown).
A compass lies on top of the wire, with the compass needle about 3 mm above the wire. With the current running,
the compass deflects 12 degrees to the West. At this location, the horizontal component of the Earth's magnetic
field is about 2e-5 tesla.

What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at location A, on the table top, a distance 2.7 cm to the East of the wire, due only to the current in the wire?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the magnetic field due to the wire alone in the first part... remember that the Earth's magnetic field is oriented north to south... and you are given the magnitude... and you're given the direction of the net magnetic field...

when you get that, you can get the current in the wire... and hence you can get the magnetic field any distance from the wire...

What are your latitude and longitude? What is the date?

1. What is the best way to ask for help?

The best way to ask for help is to clearly state the problem or question you are struggling with and provide any relevant information or context. This will make it easier for others to understand and provide assistance.

2. How can I get help if I don't understand something?

If you don't understand something, try breaking it down into smaller parts and asking for clarification on each part. You can also try researching the topic further or asking someone with more expertise for help.

3. Where can I find help resources?

There are many resources available for help, such as textbooks, online forums, and tutoring services. You can also reach out to your teacher or peers for assistance.

4. How can I avoid feeling embarrassed when asking for help?

Remember that everyone needs help at some point and asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. It's important to have a growth mindset and be open to learning and improving.

5. What should I do if I don't get a helpful response?

If you don't receive a helpful response, don't give up. Try asking someone else for help or approaching the problem from a different angle. You can also try explaining your question in a different way to see if that helps clarify the issue.