Help please I don't understand rotational physics

In summary, a 75kg, 30 cm long rod hangs vertically on a frictionless, horizontal axle that passes through its centre. A 10kg ball of clay traveling horizontally at 2.5 m/s hits and sticks to the very bottom tip of the rod. The momentum of the clay ball is 0.25 kg m^-1 s^-1, and the momentum of the rod is 5.625 E-4. The moment of the mud ball produces angular momentum in the (rod + mud ball) system, which can be calculated using the formula mv*L/2 = I*ω. This angular velocity leads to the system acquiring kinetic energy, which is then converted to potential energy when the system comes to rest
shannon12

Homework Statement

A 75kg, 30 cm long rod hangs vertically on a frictionless, horizontal axle that passes through its centre. A 10kg ball of clay traveling horizontally at 2.5 m/s hits and sticks to the very bottom tip of the rod.
To what maximum angle (measured from the vertical) does the rod (with the clay ball attached) rotate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start on this, apart from calculating the moment of inertia for the rod and for the ball and adding them together to get a total inertia?
From there, I have no clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shannon12, welcome to PF.
What is the momentum of of the clay ball? What is the moment of momentum on the rod?
What is the relation between moment of inertia, angular velocity and momentum of momentum?

rl.bhat said:
Hi Shannon12, welcome to PF.
What is the momentum of of the clay ball? What is the moment of momentum on the rod?
What is the relation between moment of inertia, angular velocity and momentum of momentum?

Thank-you! :D
Umm ok so momentum = mv = 0.01 x 2.5 = 0.25 kg m^-1 s^-1 for the clay ball
And the momentum of the rod is I = 1/12 mL^2 = 1/12 (0.075)(0.3^2) = 5.625 E-4

For the second part, I'm not too certain. Í tried checking my book to see if there were any formulas but I couldn't find one..

Moment of the mud ball produces the angular momentum in the (rod+ mud ball) sustem.
So mv*L/2 = I*ω. Due to the angular velocity the system acquires kinetic energy. When the system comes to rest KE is converted to PE.
So 1/2*I*ω^2 = mgh = mgL/2(1 - cosθ)
Solve for θ.

1. What is rotational physics?

Rotational physics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning around a fixed axis. It involves concepts such as angular displacement, velocity, acceleration, and momentum.

2. How is rotational physics different from linear physics?

Rotational physics deals with the motion of objects around a fixed axis, while linear physics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Rotational physics also involves the concept of torque, which is not present in linear physics.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is expressed in units of radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

4. How does rotational inertia affect an object's motion?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. The higher the rotational inertia, the more force is needed to change an object's angular velocity, and vice versa.

5. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force, and it is the product of force and the distance from the axis of rotation. The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its angular acceleration will be. This relationship is described by the equation: τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is rotational inertia, and α is angular acceleration.