Help please. I dont understand

• Thread starter name_ask17
  • Start date
The difference in answer is by a factor of 28.97/44.01 = 0.658. So, either 6.0 or 3.948. Still, you should consider both with ppm.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of carbon monoxide molecules in 1.0 L of air in the United States in 1991, given an estimated average concentration of 6.0 ppm. The equation pv=nrt is used, with pressure, volume, and temperature given. The question of whether ppm is weight/weight or volume/volume is raised, as it affects the final answer.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

The estimated average concentration of carbon monoxide in air in the United States in 1991 was 6.0 ppm. Calculate the number of CO molecules in 1.0 L of this air at a pressure of 601 torr and a temperature of 20.°C.

Homework Equations

pv=nrt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this and using pv=nrt
pressure was converted to torr
volume was 1
r was taken as 8.31
temp was converted into K
and then...
n was solved for, and muktiplied by avagadro's number
Am i missing something? am i supposed to include the ppm?
i am so confused.
please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ppm is a concentration, so yes, it should be included in your calculations - otherwise you calculated just the number of molecules of all gases in the given volume.

Unfortunately, question is ambiguous - it doesn't state whether ppm is weight/weight or volume/volume.

1. What should I do if I don't understand something in my research?

If you are having trouble understanding something in your research, the first step is to ask for help. Reach out to your colleagues, supervisor, or mentor for clarification. You can also consult relevant resources such as textbooks, online articles, or professional societies.

2. How can I improve my understanding of scientific concepts?

To improve your understanding of scientific concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking detailed notes, discussing with peers, and practicing problem-solving. Additionally, seeking out different perspectives and seeking out explanations from multiple sources can deepen your understanding.

3. What are some common barriers to understanding in scientific research?

Some common barriers to understanding in scientific research include complex language, jargon, and technical concepts. Personal biases, lack of background knowledge, and limited access to resources can also hinder understanding. It is important to identify these barriers and seek out strategies to overcome them.

4. How can I communicate my lack of understanding effectively?

If you are having trouble understanding a concept, it is important to communicate this effectively to your colleagues or supervisor. Be specific about what you are struggling with and ask for specific guidance or clarification. This will help them better understand your needs and provide targeted support.

5. What steps can I take to prevent misunderstandings in my research?

To prevent misunderstandings in your research, it is important to communicate clearly and effectively with your colleagues and collaborators. Use plain language, provide context, and ask for feedback to ensure that your message is being understood. Additionally, always double check your work and seek out multiple perspectives to prevent potential misunderstandings.