Help please more energy questions

• Thread starter holezch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the mass slides down the sphere and its velocity decreases as it falls. At a certain point, the normal force equals zero and the mass flies off the sphere.
holezch

Homework Statement

A point mass m starts from rest (at the top of a sphere) and slides down the surface of the frictionless solid sphere of radius r.

Find the angle at which the mass flies off the sphere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, all I know is that at that point, the Normal force will be zero. Also, that it is moving in a circular way.. so that we will have mv^2/r for its radial components and some other tangential components..

please help.. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a free body diagram at an angle θ

I have a free body diagram, I don't know what equations to use :S

thanks

Now, write out Newton's second law for the radial direction.

okay, so m v^2/ r = mgsintheta - N? When it falls off, N will be 0

thanks

holezch said:
okay, so m v^2/ r = mgsintheta - N? When it falls off, N will be 0

thanks

Yes so now find what mv2/r works out to be using conservation of energy.

hmm.. so should I express v in terms of kinetic energy and stuff? like from 1/2mv^2.. et c

thanks

holezch said:
hmm.. so should I express v in terms of kinetic energy and stuff? like from 1/2mv^2.. et c

thanks

yes that will help.

okay, so I got -mgr(1-cos theta) as the change in PE in this case.. I'm having trouble expressing the KE though.. any hints? I need to express the velocity as the function of the position.. the angle..

thanks

holezch said:
okay, so I got -mgr(1-cos theta) as the change in PE in this case.. I'm having trouble expressing the KE though.. any hints? I need to express the velocity as the function of the position.. the angle..

thanks

mgr(1-cosθ) = kinetic energy at the angle θ

So you can find what mv2 is equal to.

rock.freak667 said:
mgr(1-cosθ) = kinetic energy at the angle θ

So you can find what mv2 is equal to.

ah right, of course.. do you mean by the conversation of energy, K = mgr(1-cos theta) at some point?

Thanks! (rats, I should've known)

By the way, thanks for replying back constantly :) there's nothing better than real-time help

holezch said:
ah right, of course.. do you mean by the conversation of energy, K = mgr(1-cos theta) at some point?

Thanks! (rats, I should've known)

By the way, thanks for replying back constantly :) there's nothing better than real-time help

Well the change in potential energy= change in kinetic energy. Initially there is no kinetic energy so just the change in potential energy is 1/2mv2

rock.freak667 said:
Well the change in potential energy= change in kinetic energy. Initially there is no kinetic energy so just the change in potential energy is 1/2mv2

ah, I see so:

change in KE = - change in PE..

there is no initial KE, so 1/2 mv^2 = - change in PE

but - change in PE = mgr(1-cos theta)

so 1/2mv^2 = mgr(1-cos theta)

:) woohoo

awesome, I solved it.. just used mv^2/r and plugged in v from here 1/2mv^2 = mgr(1-cos theta) ...et c :)

Oh.. I had a question, if the tangential part of a force overcomes the radial force, will the object fling out of the orbit?

Thanks

1. How can I increase my energy levels?

There are several ways to increase your energy levels, such as getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, eating a balanced diet, staying hydrated, and managing stress levels. It is also important to address any underlying health issues that could be causing fatigue.

2. What are some natural ways to boost energy?

Some natural ways to boost energy include getting enough sunlight, incorporating adaptogenic herbs into your diet, reducing caffeine and sugar intake, and practicing relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga.

3. What foods can I eat to increase my energy?

Foods that can help increase energy levels include complex carbohydrates like whole grains and fruits, lean proteins like fish and chicken, and healthy fats like avocados and nuts. It is also important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.

4. How does exercise affect energy levels?

Regular exercise can help increase energy levels by improving blood flow and delivering more oxygen and nutrients to the body's cells. It can also release feel-good hormones like endorphins that can boost mood and energy.

5. Are there any supplements that can help with energy?

While there are many supplements on the market that claim to increase energy levels, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any. Some potential options include B vitamins, iron, and CoQ10. However, a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle should always be the first line of defense for boosting energy levels.