Calculating Tx and Inertia at Break and After Break | Simple Physics Formulas

• Engineering
  • Thread starter MarcoClement
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary: The cable has a mass (a), and it will be moving at a speed (v) away from the winch. The tension in the cable will exceed the tensile strength of the cable at x, and the cable will snap.The cable will travel a distance of x=mr/2 after it snaps.
MarcoClement
Homework Statement
Work out the speed at what a cable attached to a winch will move if it snaps(meaning the tension force exceed the tensile strength ).Work out as well the distance the rope will travel after it breaks.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
I=mr^2
At break
Tx=ma
a(initial)=Tx/pi.r^2.density

After break
Ix=m/12.(3r^2+h^2)
Iy=same as above
Iz=mr^2/2T(inertia)=Iz/a=mr^2/a=0at 1 second
delta L=v(initial).delta t+1/2at^2
=1/2a(1)^2
=a/2T(inertia)=[(a/2)(pi.r^2)(density)r^2]/a
=(pi.r^4.density)/2
T(inertia)=ma
a=(pi.r^4.density)/2 multiply by 1/pi.r^2.(a(initial)/2)
=r^2/a(initial)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
How far from the winch does the cable snap?
Does the speed of sound in the cable have anything to do with the speed of the cable after the snap?

Likes Lnewqban
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
How far from the winch does the cable snap?
Does the speed of sound in the cable have anything to do with the speed of the cable after the snap?
Any distance from the winch. Its theoretical so any distance from winch or any weight of rope or any pulling power from winch.I don't think speed of sound is necessary

So how quickly does the tension go to zero (I suspect that is why @Baluncore is pointing you toward the speed of sound in the rope)?

MarcoClement said:
Homework Statement:: Work out the speed at what a cable attached to a winch will move if it snaps(meaning the tension force exceed the tensile strength ).Work out as well the distance the rope will travel after it breaks.
Relevant Equations:: F=ma
I=mr^2

At break
Tx=ma
a(initial)=Tx/pi.r^2.density

After break
Ix=m/12.(3r^2+h^2)
Iy=same as above
Iz=mr^2/2T(inertia)=Iz/a=mr^2/a=0at 1 second
delta L=v(initial).delta t+1/2at^2
=1/2a(1)^2
=a/2T(inertia)=[(a/2)(pi.r^2)(density)r^2]/a
=(pi.r^4.density)/2
T(inertia)=ma
a=(pi.r^4.density)/2 multiply by 1/pi.r^2.(a(initial)/2)
=r^2/a(initial)

Please make it a habit to define your terms when posting your work. What is "I"? What is "L"? Yoiks.

Also, please read the LaTeX Guide link at the bottom of the Edit window so you can post your math reasonably. Thank you.

MarcoClement said:
Any distance from the winch.
With the winch at the origin, if the cable snaps at x, what is there to stop the accelerated cable end before it gets to -x ?

1. What is Tx and Inertia?

Tx is the torque applied to an object and inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its state of motion.

2. How do you calculate Tx?

Tx can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The formula is Tx = F x d.

3. How do you calculate inertia at break?

Inertia at break can be calculated by using the formula I = m x v, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity at the point of break.

4. What is the significance of calculating Tx and inertia at break?

Calculating Tx and inertia at break can help us understand the behavior of objects in motion and determine the amount of force needed to change their state of motion.

5. Can simple physics formulas accurately calculate Tx and inertia?

Yes, simple physics formulas can accurately calculate Tx and inertia as long as the assumptions and conditions of the formulas are met. However, for more complex scenarios, more advanced formulas may be needed.