Solve Vector Problem: Find Magnitude & Angle of A+B+C

• Thread starter mixedtape_15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the magnitude and angle of a resultant vector, given the values and directions of three separate vectors. The participant is having trouble with their calculations, but with assistance, they are able to identify their mistake and successfully solve the problem.
mixedtape_15
I can't figure this out for the life of me.

Vector A = 7.00 m and points 40.0o north of east. Vector B = 3.00 m and points 20.0o west of north, and Vector C = 3.00 m and points 35.0o west of south.
What is the magnitude of the resultant vector A+B+C?
What angle does the resultant vector A+B+C make with respect to the east?

So I've drawn it out and everything and I'm solving for "D" and what I drew out was some weird quadralateral(sp?). Anyways I solved for each of the Vectors and got the X Components and the Y Components. And this is what I got.

A -> Ax = (7.0m)(sin(40 deg)) = 4.5m
Ay = (7.0m)(cos(40 deg)) = 5.4m
B -> Bx = (3.0m)(cos(20 deg)) = 2.8m
By = (3.0m)(sin(20 deg)) = 1.0m
C -> Cx = (3.0m)(sin(35 deg)) = 1.7m
Cy = (3.0m)(cos(35deg)) = 2.5m

So then I added all the x components and all the y components and got the x and y components for D.
Dx = 4.5m - 2.8m + 1.7m = 3.4 m
Dy = 5.4m + 1.0m + 2.5m = 8.9m

and then I used the pythagorean theorem to get D which would be
3.4^2 + 8.9^2 = D^2
D = 9.5m

and I thought that was my answer but its telling me it was wrong. So I didn't even attempt to get the angle because that will probably be wrong to.
So yeah can someone help me please o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
mixedtape_15 said:
A -> Ax = (7.0m)(sin(40 deg)) = 4.5m
Ay = (7.0m)(cos(40 deg)) = 5.4m
B -> Bx = (3.0m)(cos(20 deg)) = 2.8m
By = (3.0m)(sin(20 deg)) = 1.0m
C -> Cx = (3.0m)(sin(35 deg)) = 1.7m
Cy = (3.0m)(cos(35deg)) = 2.5m
Excellent job showing your work -- that helps a lot in our ability to help you.

I believe that you are just mixing up the N and E components a bit. You are using the correct method, of converting from the "polar" coordinates they give you into rectangular (E,N) or (x,y) components. Looking at your Ax,Ay conversion, I can see that you've got them backwards. Since they give you the vector A as pointing 40 degrees north of east, the x component will be the cos() term, and the y component will be the sin() term. Make sense?

Just run back through the equations and check the sin() and cos() terms. My guess is that you'll get it right.

Remember, you can solve this with a ruler and a protractor.

Thank you so much for the help. It really helped me to figure out where I messed up and after that it was pretty easy :D

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented as an arrow pointing in a specific direction with a specific length.

2. How do I find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, if the vector is represented as (x, y), the magnitude is equal to √(x² + y²).

3. How do I find the angle of a vector?

The angle of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions. If the vector is represented as (x, y), the angle can be calculated as arctan(y/x), where arctan is the inverse tangent function.

4. How do I solve a vector problem with multiple vectors?

To solve a vector problem with multiple vectors, you can use the "head-to-tail" method. This involves drawing each vector as an arrow with its magnitude and direction, and then connecting the tail of one vector to the head of the next. The resulting vector from the starting point to the end point is the sum of all the individual vectors.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the magnitude and angle of a vector?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the magnitude and angle of a vector. Most scientific or graphing calculators have functions specifically for calculating vectors, such as the magnitude and angle. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is in the correct mode (degrees or radians) before using these functions.