How to plot 3D data in 2D using Mathematica?

In summary, the conversation discusses importing data to mathematica from an output file for wien2k, and how to represent 3D data in 2D using mathematica. The solution suggested is to find a function that fits the data and use a set of 2D graphs to represent it, possibly using color to indicate the 3rd dimension. A sample code is also provided.
SrEstroncio
Hello. I was asked to import a number of data to mathematica from an output file for wien2k (based in fortran). The thing is, I have to draw a graph that considers a matrix full of data in three dimensions, but the graph itself should only have two parameters. To sum up: how to represent 3D data in 2D?
Also, I barely use mathematica. Help lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should be more specific about your data. If you can find a function which it fits into, then you could represent your 3D graph of this function as a set of 2D graphs, each of which contains one of its variables as a constant.

Depending on your data, you might be able to use color to indicate the 3rd dimension.

sampledata = Table[{t Cos[t], t Sin[t], t/4}, {t, 0, 2Pi, Pi/8}];

Show[Graphics[{PointSize[0.05], Map[{Hue[Last[#]/2], Point[Drop[#, -1]]} &, sampledata]}]]

1. How can I plot 3D data in a 2D graph?

There are several ways to plot 3D data in a 2D graph, depending on the nature of your data and the software or programming language you are using. One common method is to use a technique called dimensionality reduction, such as principal component analysis or multidimensional scaling, to reduce the data to a 2D space while preserving important patterns and relationships.

2. What is the best way to visualize 3D data in a 2D format?

The best way to visualize 3D data in a 2D format will depend on your specific data and the insights you are trying to convey. Some options include using scatter plots, heat maps, contour plots, or surface plots. Experiment with different types of plots to find the one that best represents your data and helps communicate your findings.

3. Can I use Excel to plot 3D data in 2D?

Yes, Excel has some basic features for plotting 3D data in 2D, such as creating scatter plots or surface plots. However, for more complex or large datasets, you may need to use specialized software or programming languages that offer more advanced visualization options.

4. How can I add a third dimension to my 2D plot?

If you want to add a third dimension to your 2D plot, you can do so by using color, size, or shape. For example, you can color code data points based on a third variable, or use different sizes or shapes to represent another dimension. This can help add more depth and information to your plot.

5. Is it possible to plot 3D data in 2D without losing important information?

While it is not possible to fully represent all aspects of 3D data in a 2D format, techniques like dimensionality reduction can help preserve important patterns and relationships in the data. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and limitations of 2D plotting when working with 3D data.