Help pls Conservation of momentum qns

In summary, the minimum initial speed of the dart needed for the combination to make a complete circular loop after the collision is determined using conservation of energy and momentum principles. The initial speed of the sphere is zero, and the final speed at the top is found to be 6.182m/s. By working backwards and considering the energy loss during the collision, the minimum initial speed of the dart is calculated to be greater than the final speed at the top.
makeAwish
Homework Statement

A 22.00 lead sphere is hanging from a hook by a thin wire 3.90 long, and is free to swing in a complete circle. Suddenly it is struck horizontally by a 4.50 steel dart that embeds itself in the lead sphere.
What must be the minimum initial speed of the dart so that the combination makes a complete circular loop after the collision?

The attempt at a solution

I tried finding expression for tension.
at bottom, T - mg = mv^2/r
at top, T + mg = mv^2/r
Then use conservation of momentum for perfectly inelastic collision.

but i can't solve. Can someone help me pls?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The minimum speed for it to just move in a complete circle is when T at the top is zero ie when mg on its own provides the centripetal force.You need to use conservation of energy and momentum.

Dadface said:
The minimum speed for it to just move in a complete circle is when T at the top is zero ie when mg on its own provides the centripetal force.You need to use conservation of energy and momentum.

hmm. why energy is conserved? i thought this is perfectly inelastic collison and energy is not conserved...

Energy is always conserved.It is an inelastic collision but not a perfect one otherwise momentum would not be conserved.With perfectly inelastic collisions the momentum before is zero.

Hmm.. But how u noe momentum is conserved? Cos a 4.50 steel dart that embeds itself in the lead sphere. So i thought it is perfectly inelastic.. =x

you can get a perfectly inelastic collision if the dart and the sphere were moving towards each other with momenta that were equal in size but opposite in direction making a resultant momentum of zero. in this case the two things would stop on impact and all of the original kinetic energy would be lost(mainly as heat energy) but energy is still conserved.With your question the sphere is initially at rest and only some of the energy will be converted to heat the rest being kinetic energy.

Hmm. But according to my textbook and notes, for inelastic collision, energy is not conserved. When we looking at collisions, we don't look at heat energy right? I thought we only see kinetic energy? Thats why energy can be considered as not conserved..

That is correct. Kinetic energy is not conserved ... but momentum is.

So what you need to determine is what minimum speed at the bottom (from conservation of momentum) will yield enough velocity to give enough Kinetic energy to raise the combined mass of dart/ball to a height of 2 radii.

janettaywx said:
Hmm. But according to my textbook and notes, for inelastic collision, energy is not conserved. When we looking at collisions, we don't look at heat energy right? I thought we only see kinetic energy? Thats why energy can be considered as not conserved..
You need to treat this problem as having two steps:

1) The collision itself. Since the collision is inelastic, mechanical energy is not conserved. But, as you know, momentum is.

2) After the collision. After the collision, as the sphere (plus dart) swings up, mechanical energy is conserved.

Hint: Work backwards. Find the speed of the sphere at the top first.

Doc Al said:
You need to treat this problem as having two steps:

1) The collision itself. Since the collision is inelastic, mechanical energy is not conserved. But, as you know, momentum is.

2) After the collision. After the collision, as the sphere (plus dart) swings up, mechanical energy is conserved.

Hint: Work backwards. Find the speed of the sphere at the top first.

at the top, T + mg = mv^2/r
where T = 0?

so v = sqrt(gr) = 6.182m/s ??

janettaywx said:
at the top, T + mg = mv^2/r
where T = 0?

so v = sqrt(gr) = 6.182m/s ??

Right. Now how much kinetic energy is that at the top?

How much energy did it lose getting there? That tells you how much energy it needs at the bottom after the collision then doesn't it?

how do i find the initial speed of sphere? is it zero?

janettaywx said:
how do i find the initial speed of sphere? is it zero?

Yes. It's hanging right? That's before the collision of course.

okay thanks! i got it! :):):) thanks a lot!

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless an external force acts on the system. This means that in any interaction between two or more objects, the total initial momentum of the objects must equal the total final momentum.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?

There are many examples of conservation of momentum in everyday life. For instance, when a person jumps off a diving board, their momentum in the downward direction is equal to their momentum in the upward direction. Another example is when a car collides with a stationary object, the total momentum of the car and object before the collision must equal the total momentum after the collision.

4. Can momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects. When two objects collide, momentum is transferred from one object to the other. This is why a billiard ball will continue to move after it hits another ball, as momentum is transferred from the cue ball to the other ball.

5. What is the importance of conservation of momentum in science?

The conservation of momentum is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion. It is a fundamental principle in physics and is used to explain a wide range of phenomena, from collisions between objects to the motion of celestial bodies. Without conservation of momentum, many laws and equations in physics would not hold true.