1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP PLSSS - Physics

1. Apr 2, 2004 #1
    HELP!!! PLSSS!! - Physics

Hi All,
    I badly need helpwith the below 2 questions... as for question 2, I worked out part a-c but I'm unable to complete part d.... pls help and correct me if I am wrong.

really appreciate it!

1. A 125 W heater is designed to operate with an emf of 120 V.
    Find the approximate power dissipated in the heater if the potential difference is decreased to 112 V. (Unit: W)

can somebody help me up with this?

2. A 5.2 F capacitor is charged to 1.4E2 V and is then connected across a 4.5E2 resistor. Answer the following questions:
    All answers must have three significant digits unless otherwise specified.

(a) What is the initial charge on the capacitor? (Unit: microcoulombs, uC)
    answer: 728 uC

(b) What is the initial current just after the capacitor is connected to the resistor? (Unit: milliamperes, mA)
    answer: 311 mA

(c) What is the time constant of this circuit? (Unit: milliseconds, ms)
    answer: 2.34 ms

but I'm Stuck on this question...
    (d) How much charge is on the capacitor after 5.1 ms? (Unit: microcoulombs, uC)
    can somebody help me up with this??

thanks again!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

For #1: First find the resistance of the heater using the rated values for power and voltage. Now find the new power dissipated when the voltage is reduced.

For #2d: You found the time constant Τ, now use it. The charge at time t is: Q = Q0e(-t/Τ).
  4. Apr 4, 2004 #3

Hi Doc Al,

thanks so much! you're a gem!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?