1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Plz pulley problems

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    I have to problems that I'm having trouble with today I just can't seem to get my head around a lot of these physics concept so I'm finally coming here Plz help me. I've tried to do these problems and I just don't know what I'm doing.

1.We have two masses hanging from a pulley of inertia mp and constant frictional force f. One mass is 21.5g and the other is 39.8g. When data is taken, the slope of the 1/a vs. (m1 + m2) graph turns out to be 6.77 1/N. What is the value of the frictional force of the pulley? (2 decimals and UNITS!) (g=9.8m/s2)

We have two masses hanging from a pulley of inertia mp and constant frictional force f. One mass is 55.9g and the other is 41.8g. When data is taken, the intercept of the 1/a vs. (m1 + m2) graph turns out to be 0.04s2/m and the frictional force of the pulley 0.31N. What is the value of the inertia of the pulley? (2 decimals and SI UNITS!) (g=9.8m/s2) (If you get a negative answer type it in even though it doesnt make sense physically)

2. Relevant equations
    These are the equations I have:

for no friction:
    1/a = (m1 + m2)/((m1 -m2)g)

for a system with friction:
    (m1 - m2)g - f = (m1 + m2 + mp)a

1/a = [(m1 + m2)/((m1-m2)g - f)] + [mp/((m1-m2)g -f))]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My solutions were totally outrageous I have no idea what i'm doing frankly i've studied this stuff for hours and can't wrap my head around it

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted