1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help potential dividers

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are doing experiment about potential dividers , a teacher asked us to write about all possible HAZARDS and how to minimize them.

Also she asks us about all possible RISKS linked to this experiment.

And also if anyone good at this could you please tell me how can I show that the data which I collected is valid

Thank you for your attention!

Asking you guys because 1) I don't know anything about potential dividers 2) because I missed all the lessons, when we were doing the linked things...:(((

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    We cannot tell you anything without some description of the experiment.
    Aim, method, results...

Do you know what a potential divider does, what it is used for?
    Are there any classmates you can talk to about the lessons?

Al I can do it connect you with lessons:
    A potential divider is also, more commonly, called a voltage divider.
    http://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/resist2.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Apr 23, 2013 #3
    By HAZARDS linked to experiment I mean what are the HAZARDS and RISKS can happen working with potential dividers, and how to avoid them how to work safely? ( may be you just didn't understand when I wrote experiment ;)

5. Apr 23, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... and I cannot help you discover the HAZARDS unless you tell me about the experiment.
    I did give you some links with possible clues though.

Voltage dividers come in all kinds - if you did a high voltage experiment then there would be a RISK of electrocution ... if you did an experiment involved small components then there is a choking HAZARD. Context is everything. Presumably you can figure the simple stuff.

6. Apr 23, 2013 #5
    You also need to understand the difference between a hazard and a risk.

A hazard is a source of potential harm. In any experiment with potential dividers one obvious hazard is electricity; how you can reduce this hazard?

A risk is the potential for a hazard to cause injury. So if you are making a cup of tea, boiling water is a hazard. You cannot reduce this hazard (because tea made with warm water tastes horrible), but you can reduce the risk by placing the mug on an appropriate surface instead of holding it when pouring in the boiling water.

7. Apr 23, 2013 #6
    But if in general speaking, for example: doesn't matter what type of liquid you drop on PC, would it be water or other types of soda even wine , it doesn't matter because the result will be the same. PC will get damaged by liquid.

8. Apr 23, 2013 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Any liquid contact poses a hazard to the PC, but some liquids may pose a greater risk than others.

For voltage dividers, you have a range of mechanical and electrical hazards to consider - and weigh the risk for each of them.

9. Apr 24, 2013 #8
    46a556836c59.jpg

Someone please help me with this assestment :((( , i need to do this control assesment to get A in my final mark. I got A in all other subjects , and this physics control assestment is making a problem to me. Please guys help me , i dont know anything about in P5 especially about these; circuits , current , resistor etc. Because i missed all the lessons , i couldnt come to school was too ill.

If someone could really help me , i can pay for him or buy a game in steam, please guys i really need in this!!!

if you want to help and have some questions feel free

10. Apr 24, 2013 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Simon's already pointed you to lessons. We're not here to do your work for you and give you the answers. Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook