1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP: Probability Question

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    Hi People,

I have this Probability Problem which is given me a headach,

Given two independent Stochastic variables (X, Y) where X is Poisson distributed [tex]Po(\lambda)[/tex] and Y is Poisson distributed [tex]Po(\mu)[/tex].

Where [tex]\lambda[/tex], [tex]\mu > 0[/tex]. Let [tex]m \geq 0[/tex] and [tex]p = \frac{\lambda}{\lambda+ \mu}[/tex]

By the above I need to show, that

[tex]P(X=l| X+Y=m) = \left( \begin{array}{cc} l \\ m \end{array} \right ) p^l (1-p)^{(l-m)}[/tex]

Proof:

Its know that

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} l \\ m \end{array} \right ) = \frac{l!}{m!(1-m)!}[/tex]

Wherefore the Binormal formula can be written as

[tex]\frac{l!}{(m!(l-m))!} p^l (1-p)^{(l-m)}[/tex]

for [tex]m \geq 0[/tex] I get:

[tex]\frac{-(\frac{\lambda + \mu}{\mu})^{l} \cdot p^{l} \cdot \mu}{l!(l!-1) \cdot (\lambda + \mu)}[/tex]

Any surgestions on how to processed from here?

Sincerely Yours
    Hummingbird25

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, no suggestions on how to proceed from there since you seem to be going at it backwards.

For any probability distribution, P(A and B)= P(A|B)*P(B) so that
    P(A|B)= P(A and B)/P(B).

You are looking for P(X= l| X+ Y= m) so A is "X= l" and B is "X+ Y= m".
    Then A and B is "X= l and X+ Y= m" which is the same as "X= l and Y= m-l". Now P(A and B)= P(X= l)*P(Y= m) .

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3
    Hi Hall,

Hello since X and Y is Poisson distributed then

[tex]P(x=l) * P(Y=m) = \frac{\lambda^l}{l !} e^{-\lambda} * \frac{\lambda^m}{m !} e^{-\mu}[/tex]

Is this the next?

Sincerley Yours
    Hummingbird25

5. Apr 30, 2006 #4
    I think HallsofIvy made a small mistake in his last statement. He probably meant "P(A and B)= P(X= l)*P(Y= m-l)".

6. Apr 30, 2006 #5
    Hello since X and Y is Poisson distributed then

[tex]P(X=l) * P(Y=m-l) = \frac{\lambda^l}{l !} e^{-\lambda} *[/tex] (what do I need to add here then)?

Is this the next?

Sincerley Yours
    Hummingbird25

7. Apr 30, 2006 #6
    [tex]P(X=l) * P(Y=m-l) = \frac{\lambda^l}{l !} e^{-\lambda} * \frac{\mu^{m-l}}{(m-l)!} e^{-\mu}[/tex]

And Hummingbird25, can I request that you check the question again? I tried solving the question and my answer was [tex]P(X=l| X+Y=m) = \left( \begin{array}{cc} m \\ l \end{array} \right ) p^l (1-p)^{(m-l)}[/tex]. Perhaps there is something wrong with my working...

8. Apr 30, 2006 #7
    Hello Pizzasky and thank You,

I looked at my assigment again I and discovered, that You result was the right one, I had (by mistake swapped l and m.

The right answer as You formulated:

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc} m \\ l \end{array} \right ) p^l (1-p)^{(m-l)}[/tex]

Sincerely Hummingbird25

9. Apr 30, 2006 #8
    One last thing Pizzasky,

Which formula did You use to achive the binormal formula?

Sincerely Yours
    Hummingbird25

10. Apr 30, 2006 #9

You can use the substitution [tex]p = \frac{\lambda}{\lambda+ \mu}[/tex] to get the Binomial formula. Also, try to figure out what expression "1-p" corresponds to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?