How can I use Runge Kutta to solve coupled first order DE's in Matlab?

He is using the midpoint method, which is a variant of RK2. In summary, the conversation is about using a Runge Kutta second order approach to numerically solve two coupled first order differential equations with given initial conditions and a conservation relationship. The equations are solved using Heun's method and the conversation also touches on using vector integration techniques for molecular simulations.
HoosierDaddy
Hello All,

I need to utilize a Runge Kutta second order approach to solve two coupled first order DE's simultaneously given some initial conditions and a conservation relationship.

The DE's are as follows:

[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex] = aq - bp

[tex]\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex] = -aq + bp

Where a and b are constants, a=3, b=4, and the conservation relationship is nt = p(t) + q(t). Here, nt = 3.

I'm having trouble getting the ball rolling with writing the R.K. algorithm for this, will be programming in matlab. I have solved the equations analytically by hand and have found the following:

p(t) = -0.055972e-3t + 3.055972e-4
q(t) = -0.055972e-7t + 3.055972

Any help on how to get started with the Runge Kutta algorithm to solve numerically would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to do a little work before we can help you. What do you know about Runge Kutta methods? About RK2 in particular? Which particular variant of RK2 (there are more than one) are you supposed to use?

Not sure exactly whick RK approach it is, we will be incrementing time such that ...

yj+1 = y*j+1 + [tex]\frac{h}{2}[/tex](k2 - k1)

Where y*j+1 = yj + hk1

and k1 = f(xj, yj) and k2 = f(xj+1, y*j+1)

Does this identify which RK2 method I am attempting to use?

That is Heun's method.

An alternative is the midpoint method:

[tex]\aligned
y_{j+1} &= y_j + hk_{j+1/2} \\
x_{j+1/2} &= x_j +h/2 \\
y_{j+1/2} &= y_j + hk_j/2 \\
k_j &= f(x_j,y_j) \\
k_{j+1/2} &= f(x_{j+1/2},y_{j+1/2})
\endaligned[/tex]

Thanks D H, I believe we are required to use Heun's method. Can I just draw a parallel to Heun's method with my values? i.e. xj = tj, xj+1 = tj+1 = tj + [tex]\Delta[/tex]t?

If this is the case, what would my yj be? Would I have a separate yj for my p and q equations?

Consider this set of six differential equations:

[tex]\aligned
\frac {d\mathbf r}{dt} &= \mathbf v \\
\frac {d\mathbf v}{dt} &= \mathbf a_{\text{ext}} \equiv \mathbf F_{\text{ext}}/m
\endaligned[/tex]

In other words, Newton's laws of motion. Another way to look at this is as a six vector:

[tex]\aligned
\mathbf u &= \left[ r_x \, r_y \,r_z \,\,v_x \,v_y \,v_z \right]^T \\
\frac{\mathbf u}{dt} &= \left[ v_x \,v_y \,v_z \,\,a_x \,a_y \,a_z \right]^T
\endaligned[/tex]

Integration techniques such as Runge Kutta can be used on vectors as well as on scalars. Molecular simulations, for example, essentially work on vectors with thousands of elements or more.

Last edited:
HoosierDaddy said:
Not sure exactly whick RK approach it is, we will be incrementing time such that ...

yj+1 = y*j+1 + [tex]\frac{h}{2}[/tex](k2 - k1)

Where y*j+1 = yj + hk1

and k1 = f(xj, yj) and k2 = f(xj+1, y*j+1)

Does this identify which RK2 method I am attempting to use?

Are you sure it is k2 - k1 and not k2 + k1?

The full Heun is

k0 = f(xi, yi)
k1 = f(xi + h, yi + hk0)

yi+1 = yi + (1/2 k0 + 1/2 k1)h

That is exactly what he is doing, just written a little differently.

1. What is Runge Kutta and why is it used in programming?

Runge Kutta is a numerical method used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It is commonly used in programming because it is more accurate than other methods and can handle a wide range of problems.

2. How does Runge Kutta work?

Runge Kutta works by breaking down a complex ODE into smaller, simpler steps. It then uses a series of calculations based on the slope of the function at each step to approximate the solution.

3. What are the benefits of using Runge Kutta over other numerical methods?

Runge Kutta is more accurate than other methods such as Euler's method, especially for solving stiff ODEs. It also allows for variable step sizes, making it more efficient and adaptable to different problems.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Runge Kutta?

One potential drawback of using Runge Kutta is that it can be more computationally intensive compared to other methods. It also requires more memory and may not be suitable for real-time applications.

5. How can I implement Runge Kutta in my programming language?

There are many resources available online for implementing Runge Kutta in various programming languages. You can also use existing libraries or packages that have pre-written Runge Kutta functions. It's important to understand the method and its parameters before implementing it in your code.