Where did I go wrong in proving the identity for div(F x G)?

In summary, the conversation is about attempting to prove the equation div(F x G) = G.(curlF) - F.curl(G) and getting stuck on the left hand side being equal to twice the right hand side. The person asks for help in understanding where they have gone wrong and another person points out a mistake in their expression for G.(curlF). The conversation then continues with the correct expression and the use of the product rule to expand and simplify the equation. The summary ends with the explanation
I tried to prove

div(F x G) = G.(curlF) - F.curl(G)

and ended up getting the right hand side equaling twice the left hand side, with no idea where i'd gone wrong :(

can someone show me how to prove it correctly?

and, if you have time.. see if you can pick where i went wrong?

this is how I attempted to do it:

(I'm going to stop with the bolding for vectors because it's too annoying)

F x G = (f2g3 - f3g2)i + (f3g1 - f1g3)j + (f1g2 - f2g1)k

div(F x G) = d/dx(f2g3 - f3g2) + d/dy(f3g1 - f1g3) + d/dz(f1g2 - f2g1)

curlF = (df3/dy - df2/dz)i + (df1/dz - df3/dx)j + (df2/dx - df1/dy)k

G.(curlF) = d/dx(f2g3 - f3g2) + d/dy(f3g1 - g3f1) + d/dz(f1g2 - f2g1)

i can see I'm already in trouble here... this is the left hand side already...

then I used the same method for F.(curlG) which gets me the negative of G.(curlF) , so that when I take it from G.(curlF) I get twice the left hand side...

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for G.(curlF) is just wrong. Correct expression x derivative term is g3(df2/dx)-g2(df3/dx). When you work out the rest you will see the original formula is correct.

...still stuck :(

I understand what you corrected me on, but once I've worked out G.(curlF) - F.(curlG) I can't see what you could do to it to make it the left hand side of the equation.

G.(curlF) - F.(curlG) = g1(df3/dy - df2/dz) + g2(df1/dz - df3/dx) + g3(df2/dx - df1/dy) - f1(dg3/dy - dg2/dz) - f2(dg1/dz - dg3/dx) - f3(dg2/dx - dg1/dy)

right?

then where do I go from there?

Let's take the d/dx term. You have
-g2df3/dx+g3df2/dx+f2dg3/dx-f3dg2/dx, which is
d(f2g3)/dx-d(f3g2)dx, which is what you want.

ah... thanks a bunch...

so..

g3df2/dx + f2dg3/dx = d(f2g3)dx

Is that just something I should've known? or are there some intermediate steps there?

it's the product rule. traditionally learning that d(uv)/dx = vdu/dx+udv/dx comes well before you get onto div and curl.

What is a proof of identity?

A proof of identity is a document or set of documents that verifies a person's identity. It is often required when applying for government-issued identification, opening a bank account, or completing other important transactions.

Why is a proof of identity important?

A proof of identity is important because it helps to prevent identity theft and fraud. It also ensures that the correct person is conducting important transactions, such as opening a bank account or obtaining a driver's license.

What documents can be used as a proof of identity?

Commonly accepted documents for proof of identity include a government-issued ID, such as a driver's license or passport, a birth certificate, or a social security card. Other documents, such as utility bills or credit card statements, may also be accepted in certain situations.

What should I do if I don't have a proof of identity?

If you do not have a proof of identity, you should contact the organization or agency requesting it. They may have alternative means of verifying your identity, such as through a witness or by providing other forms of identification.

Can a proof of identity be faked?

Yes, unfortunately, a proof of identity can be faked. It is important to carefully examine any documents presented as proof of identity and verify their authenticity. Organizations and agencies may also have additional measures in place to prevent fraud.