Solving a Quick Physics Problem: Finding Speed, Deceleration, and Distance

• Thread starter Rade1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: For the next section, you need an equation with v and a and t.The √(0.8) is 0.8, so do we use this as initial v and we have time too.Also we need a, is a zero? how do i find them? thks!
Rade1990

Homework Statement

A rock is pushed from rest across a sheet of ice, accelerating at 2.0 m/s2 over a distance of 20 cm. The rock then slides at a constant speed for 15.0 s until it reaches a rough section that causes the rock to stop in 5.5 s. (Assume two significant digits.)

1. What is the speed of the rock when it reaches the rough section?
2. At what rate does it slow down once it reaches the rough section?
3. What is the total distance that the rock slides?
v1=0ms
v2=30m=3000cms
t=15s
d=20cm
a=2.0m.s2

Homework Equations

V2=v1+a (change in t)

The Attempt at a Solution

v2=0+2.0(15)
v2=3000cm =30m

Thats all i understood could some1 show me step by step how to do a b c pleaseee!
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rade1990! :smile:
Rade1990 said:
V2=v1+a (change in t)

But you don't know the change in t … you only know the change in x.
v2=0+2.0(15)

The 15 seconds is when there's no change in v.

i already did that:S?

I suggest that you try to break it up into three sections. The accelerating section, the non-accelerating section and finally the rough (de)accelerating section. First step is to find the speed that the rock gains as it is pushed in the first section.

As tiny-tim pointed out, you do not know the time that this happened for so you cannot use the equations listed. I suggest that you write down all the forms of the kinematic equations, what you know and what you are looking for, and based on that find the final speed.

After you find this speed, I'll give you a hint on what to do next.

I did this problem and got the speed for section one to 0.4m/s and i did not know how the find the next speed of section two we only given the time. thks

Welcome to PF!

hamd22 said:
I did this problem and got the speed for section one to 0.4m/s …

Hi hamd22! Welcome to PF! :smile:

0.4? :confused:

Show us what formula you used. :smile:

sorry! i used v2^2=v1^2+2ad then i got the speed to be 0.8m/s for the first section now how do i find the speed for the next section we only have t=15s. thks

Last edited:
hamd22 said:
sorry! i used v2^2=v1^2+2ad then i got the speed to be o.8m/s for the first section now how do i find the speed for the next section we only have t=15s. thks

No … its √(0.8), isn't it?

For the next section, you need an equation with v and a and t. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
No … its √(0.8), isn't it?
the √(0.8) is 0.8, so do we use this as initial v and we have time too.Also we need a, is a zero? how do i find them? thks

Last edited:

1. What is the quickest way to solve a physics problem?

The quickest way to solve a physics problem is to first read the problem carefully and identify what is given and what is asked. Then, use the appropriate formula or equation to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, double check your answer to ensure it is reasonable and make any necessary conversions or unit adjustments.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems quickly?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems quickly include using the wrong formula or equation, not paying attention to units, and making simple arithmetic errors. It is important to be organized and double check your work to catch any mistakes.

3. How can I improve my speed and accuracy when solving physics problems?

Practice and familiarity with various physics concepts and formulas is the key to improving your speed and accuracy in solving physics problems. Additionally, staying organized and paying attention to units and significant figures can also help improve your accuracy.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tips for solving physics problems quickly?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tips that can help you solve physics problems more quickly. These include using unit conversions to simplify calculations, using approximations for complex calculations, and breaking down difficult problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. What resources are available to help with solving physics problems quickly?

There are many resources available to help with solving physics problems quickly, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Additionally, there are also apps and calculators that can assist with calculations and provide helpful tips and tricks for solving problems efficiently.