Understanding Existential and Universal Quantifiers in Mathematical Statements

• Thread starter scorpius1782
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary: N}, \forall y \in \mathbb{N}, x \leq y##There exists a number, x, in the set of natural numbers and for all other numbers, y, in the set of natural numbers, x is less than or equal to y. So, x must be the smallest number in the set of natural numbers.##\forall y \in \mathbb{N}, \exists x \in \mathbb{N}, x \leq y##For all numbers, y, in the set of natural numbers, there exists a number, x, in the set of natural numbers, that is less than or equal to y.
scorpius1782

Homework Statement

I'm given a series of statements and I have to decide which one is true for my problem.
Are any of these equivalent to ##\exists ! xP(x)##?

##\exists x P(x)##^## \forall y(p(y)\implies y=x)##

##\exists x \forall y, x=y \implies p(y)##

##\exists x \forall y, p(y) \implies x=y ##

And true or false?

##\forall y \in \mathbb{N}, \exists x \in \mathbb{N}, x \leq y##
##\exists x \in \mathbb{N}, \forall y \in \mathbb{N}, x \leq y##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just reading them properly is my big problem.
So for ##\exists x P(x)##^## \forall y(P(y)\implies y=x)##

it is saying there exists an 'x' satisfying P(x) and all 'y' then if P(y)=x then y=x.

I bolded the part I'm not sure about. It is the inclusion of the second element that throws me. It is the same for the true or false questions:

There exists an 'x' in the natural numbers that for all 'y' in the natural numbers ## x \leq y##

I would say this is true because x could be the same as y.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
scorpius1782 said:

Homework Statement

I'm given a series of statements and I have to decide which one is true for my problem.
Are any of these equivalent to ##\exists ! xP(x)##?

##\exists x P(x)##^## \forall y(p(y)\implies y=x)##

##\exists x \forall y, p(y) \implies x=y ##

And true or false?

##\forall y \in \mathbb{N}, \exists x in \mathbb{N}, x \leq y##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just reading them properly is my big problem.
So for ##\exists x P(x)##^## \forall y(P(y)\implies y=x)##

it is saying there exists an 'x' satisfying P(x) and all 'y' then if P(y)=x then y=x.

But ##P(y)## is a property of ##y## which can be true or false. So ##P(y)=x## makes no sense at all.
For example ##P(y)## can be "##y## is colored green" or "##y## is larger than ##2##".
I don't know what ##P(y)=x## is supposed to mean.

It is the same for the true or false questions:

There exists an 'x' in the natural numbers that for all 'y' in the natural numbers ## x \leq y##

I would say this is true because x could be the same as y.

If you claim this is a true statement, then what is the ##x## that makes the statement true?

micromass said:
If you claim this is a true statement, then what is the ##x## that makes the statement true?

It would have to be zero, correct? It is less than or equal to all the other elements in the natural numbers. I'm confused about the order of the statements for the both of the true or false statements. I have no idea if order matters because I'm not sure if I'm able to put it into words correctly.

micromass said:
But ##P(y)## is a property of ##y## which can be true or false. So ##P(y)=x## makes no sense at all.
For example ##P(y)## can be "##y## is colored green" or "##y## is larger than ##2##".
I don't know what ##P(y)=x## is supposed to mean.

I honestly don't know either. I just don't have examples of statements put into words so that I can properly read these. The only ones in my book are really simple ones with 1 variable in 1 set. I'm scouring the internet trying to find complicated examples that I can learn from but not much luck yet.

scorpius1782 said:
It would have to be zero, correct? It is less than or equal to all the other elements in the natural numbers.

Yes.

I'm confused about the order of the statements for the both of the true or false statements. I have no idea if order matters because I'm not sure if I'm able to put it into words correctly.

You mean the order of the quantifiers, right? Yes, that order is extremely important. The statement

[tex]\exists x\in \mathbb{N}: ~\forall y\in \mathbb{N}:~x\leq y[/tex]

Means that there exists some natural number ##x## such that all natural numbers are greater or equal than ##x##. This is true, and we can take ##x=0##.

However,

[tex]\forall x\in \mathbb{N}:~\exists y\in \mathbb{N}:~x\leq y[/tex]

means that for each natural number ##x##, there is some greater natural number ##y##. This is also true. For example, if ##x## is a natural number, then we can take ##y=x+1## (or even ##y=x##). This is greater than ##x##.

I honestly don't know either. I just don't have examples of statements put into words so that I can properly read these. The only ones in my book are really simple ones with 1 variable in 1 set. I'm scouring the internet trying to find complicated examples that I can learn from but not much luck yet.

Well, something like ##P(y)=x## makes no sense at all.

You can try imagine that ##y## is a car and that ##P(y)## is "the color of ##y## is green". In that sense, the statement

[tex]\exists x:~P(x)~\wedge~\forall y:~(P(y)~\Rightarrow~x=y)[/tex]

means that

There exists a car ##x## such that ##x## is greeen, and for all other cars ##y## holds that if ##y## is green then ##x=y##.

Or simplified:

There exists a green car ##x## and if some car ##y## is green, then ##x=y##.

You see that this asserts that there is a unique green car.

Can you interpret the other ##2## statements by using green cars?

There exists a car, x, and all other cars, y, that if x=y then y is green. So, x must also be green.

##\exists x \forall y, p(y) \implies x=y##

There exists a car, x, and all other cars, y, that if y is green then x=y. So, x must also be green.

The second one implies, to me, that several cars could be green. The first, seems like it is saying that if a car is green then it must be 'x.' Meaning there is just one green car.

scorpius1782 said:

There exists a car, x, and all other cars, y, that if x=y then y is green. So, x must also be green.

The "and" that I bolded above is incorrect. If you should read an "and", then it would have said ##\wedge##.

How you should read it is

There is some car ##x## such that if ##y## is any car such that ##x=y##, then ##y## is green.

Thus

There is some car ##x## such that any car equal to ##x## is green.

Thus this just says that

There exists a green car.

This statement does not say green cars are unique. Do you see that?

##\exists x \forall y, p(y) \implies x=y##

There exists a car, x, and all other cars, y, that if y is green then x=y. So, x must also be green.

Same here, you shouldn't have put in the "and". What this statement says is

There exists some car ##x## such that if ##y## is any green car, then ##x=y##.

Thus

There exists some car ##x## such that all green cars equal ##x##.

Thus

There is at most one green car.

This statement does not say that there is a green car. Do you see that?

Likes 1 person
Okay, yeah I understand those now. That's what I was really having trouble with. That is how to interpret the function of the second variable in the beginning. This makes a lot more sense to me now.

1. What is the purpose of reading statements?

The purpose of reading statements is to gain an understanding of the information presented in a clear and organized manner. It allows us to analyze data, make informed decisions, and communicate findings to others.

2. How can I improve my reading of statements?

There are a few ways to improve your reading of statements. First, make sure you have a good understanding of the language and terminology used in the statement. It can also be helpful to read slowly and take breaks to process the information. Additionally, look for key points and use visual aids, such as graphs or charts, to help understand the data.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when reading statements?

One common mistake is not paying attention to details and making assumptions about the information presented. It's important to carefully read each statement and not skip over any important information. Another mistake is not considering the context of the statement, which can impact the interpretation of the data.

4. How do I know if a statement is reliable?

To determine the reliability of a statement, you should consider the source of the information and whether it is from a reputable and unbiased source. It's also important to look at the data and see if it is supported by evidence and if any potential biases were considered in the analysis.

5. How can I apply the information from reading statements to my work or research?

Reading statements can provide valuable insights and information that can be applied to various fields and research. By carefully analyzing the data, you can make informed decisions, identify patterns and trends, and use the information to support your own work or research.