Recalling a Theorem in Applied Mathematics: Help Needed | Information Theory

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses a vague recollection of a theorem in applied mathematics, possibly related to information theory. The theorem involves a surprising result regarding the information needed to describe real numbers in a closed interval compared to the information needed to describe all real numbers in that interval. The discussion also mentions the use of sequences and uncountably infinite numbers in describing real numbers. There is some uncertainty about the details of the theorem and its relevance to information theory.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is something of an odd request, I guess.

I have a very foggy recollection of a theorem in some field of applied mathematics - probably information theory. I think it has to do with a seemingly surprising result about the information needed to describe any real in some closed interval compared to the information needed to describe all the reals in that interval.

I can't recall anything more definite about this, and what I've said above may itself be more wrong than right. Hopefully there's just enough correct stuff there to help ring a bell with someone. Does anyone know what I'm rambling about?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The information needed in both cases is uncountably infinite -- in particular, [tex]\beth_1:=2^{\aleph_0}.[/tex]

Wouldnt you be able to describe a single real with a sequence that converges to it (which is countable)?

maze said:
Wouldnt you be able to describe a single real with a sequence that converges to it (which is countable)?

There are [tex]\beth_1[/tex] sequences consisting of [tex]\aleph_0[/tex] rational numbers. So, you could describe a real number that way, but it wouldn't be countable.

Thanks CRG. I was about to ask how you get beth_1 for both cases... but I ought to give it some thought first. Also, this tells me that I probably haven't recalled the theorem correctly.

A closed real interval is of the form [itex]\{x:a\le x\le b\}[/itex] for some real a and b. Thus describing the interval requires only giving two real numbers. Two real numbers can be combined 'for the price of one' in many ways, like interleaving digits:

1.12345 (interleave) 2.24680 = 21.1224364850

Work from the decimal point out, since real numbers can't be infinite.The second point is only that [tex]\aleph_0^{\aleph_0}=2^{\aleph_0}:=\beth_1.[/tex]

Gokul43201 said:
Also, this tells me that I probably haven't recalled the theorem correctly.

I'm just trying to jog your memory.

Of course an arbitrary subset (rather than interval) of the reals has cardinality [tex]\beth_2=2^{\beth_1}.[/tex]

If the result was information theory, then we're probably looking at the wrong stuff. Information theory usually deals with finite numbers of bits, right? [tex]2^{2^{\aleph_0}}[/tex] doesn't strike me as particularly 'applied'.

Perhaps they have infinities sitting around that get renormalized away?

1. What is a theorem?

A theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and mathematical principles. It is considered a fundamental concept in mathematics and science.

2. How do I recall a theorem?

To recall a theorem, you can review the proof of the theorem and the key concepts and principles used to demonstrate its validity. You can also practice solving related problems to reinforce your understanding and memory.

3. Why is it important to recall theorems?

Recalling theorems is important because they serve as the foundation for understanding and applying more complex mathematical and scientific concepts. They also help to build a strong logical reasoning and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some strategies for recalling theorems?

Some strategies for recalling theorems include creating visual aids or mnemonic devices to help remember key concepts, regularly practicing problems related to the theorem, and explaining the theorem in your own words to someone else.

5. How can I improve my ability to recall theorems?

To improve your ability to recall theorems, you can practice regularly and consistently, make connections between related theorems and concepts, and seek help or guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed. Additionally, maintaining a positive attitude and staying motivated can also aid in improving recall.