1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help recalling theorem

1. May 26, 2008 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is something of an odd request, I guess.

I have a very foggy recollection of a theorem in some field of applied mathematics - probably information theory. I think it has to do with a seemingly surprising result about the information needed to describe any real in some closed interval compared to the information needed to describe all the reals in that interval.

I can't recall anything more definite about this, and what I've said above may itself be more wrong than right. Hopefully there's just enough correct stuff there to help ring a bell with someone. Does anyone know what I'm rambling about?

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The information needed in both cases is uncountably infinite -- in particular, [tex]\beth_1:=2^{\aleph_0}.[/tex]

4. May 28, 2008 #3
    Wouldnt you be able to describe a single real with a sequence that converges to it (which is countable)?

5. May 28, 2008 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are [tex]\beth_1[/tex] sequences consisting of [tex]\aleph_0[/tex] rational numbers. So, you could describe a real number that way, but it wouldn't be countable.

6. May 28, 2008 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks CRG. I was about to ask how you get beth_1 for both cases... but I ought to give it some thought first. Also, this tells me that I probably haven't recalled the theorem correctly.

7. May 28, 2008 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A closed real interval is of the form [itex]\{x:a\le x\le b\}[/itex] for some real a and b. Thus describing the interval requires only giving two real numbers. Two real numbers can be combined 'for the price of one' in many ways, like interleaving digits:

1.12345 (interleave) 2.24680 = 21.1224364850

Work from the decimal point out, since real numbers can't be infinite.

The second point is only that [tex]\aleph_0^{\aleph_0}=2^{\aleph_0}:=\beth_1.[/tex]

I'm just trying to jog your memory.

8. May 28, 2008 #7

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course an arbitrary subset (rather than interval) of the reals has cardinality [tex]\beth_2=2^{\beth_1}.[/tex]

If the result was information theory, then we're probably looking at the wrong stuff. Information theory usually deals with finite numbers of bits, right? [tex]2^{2^{\aleph_0}}[/tex] doesn't strike me as particularly 'applied'.

9. May 29, 2008 #8
    Perhaps they have infinities sitting around that get renormalized away?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook