HELP! relationship between rate of flow of water and height of water column

1. Purpose : to determine experimentally the relationship between the rate of flow of water through a narrow opening and the height of the water column.

any ideas in how i could do this experiment and what kind of data to use etc. and how this can conclude to a design in an hydro electric dam.

experiment is used with a 50 mL burette (tube with narrow opening) , stop watch, ruler, and beakers.

2. jcsd
  3. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason 6,880
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ask yourself the following questions:

1. what do I need to produce a column of water? Will it be big enough to give me a measureable volume of water flowing out the opening without changing the height significantly?

2. how do I measure the volume of water that escapes?

3. How do I measure the time it takes to escape so I can determine the volume/unit time?

4. How do I measure the area of the opening? How do I calculate the flow rate from that data and the area of the opening?

If you think about all these things carefully, you will be on the road to a successful experiment.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?