How Do You Calculate the Curvature of a Simply Supported Monorail Beam?

In summary, if the beam is straight and a steel section, it is not that complicated, it gets more complicated if the monorail track is concrete. It get very complicated if the beam curves.
Dafty
Hi wonder if there is anyone out there who can help me !
Whats the easiest formula for working out the measurement of curveture in a simply supported structural horrizontal monorail beam.
Any help most appreciated. - thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you want to know how to measure the actual curvature of an existing structure or predict the curve of a planned structure?

If you want to predict: If the beam is straight and and a steel section, it is not that complicated, it gets more complicated if the monorail track is concrete. It get very complicated if the beam curves. There are mathematics that allow you to calculate the curve of the unloaded beam as well as under load.

Don't know if this is any help but here is the engineers bending theory equation

M/I=sigma/y=E/R

were

M=moment
I=second moment of area
Sigma=stress
y=neutral axis
E=youngs modulus
R=The radius of curviture of the beam

Scudley said:
Do you want to know how to measure the actual curvature of an existing structure or predict the curve of a planned structure?

If you want to predict: If the beam is straight and and a steel section, it is not that complicated, it gets more complicated if the monorail track is concrete. It get very complicated if the beam curves. There are mathematics that allow you to calculate the curve of the unloaded beam as well as under load.

Thanks for yor reply Scudley - i need to take curveture measurements from an existing horizontal simply supported monorail beam - what's the easiest way of measuring and working out radius curve - eg 60 - 90 degrees.

Thanks in advance Scudley - Iam the dafty here

jamesd2008 said:
Don't know if this is any help but here is the engineers bending theory equation

M/I=sigma/y=E/R

were

M=moment
I=second moment of area
Sigma=stress
y=neutral axis
E=youngs modulus
R=The radius of curviture of the beam

Thanks for your support reply James - i need to work out curviture of an existing beam

What size is this beam? Are we talking something that is very large or just a lab experiment?

FredGarvin said:
What size is this beam? Are we talking something that is very large or just a lab experiment?

Fred this beam is currently in situ - runs approx 60ft long simply supported via vertical welded supports and constructed from standard American stardard I beam 4 " Wide x 8 " High has one curve of which iam trying to determine easiest way to measure and work out radius curve.

Thanks

With something that long, have you looked into the possibility of a transit used by surveyors? They can be quite accurate.

FredGarvin said:
With something that long, have you looked into the possibility of a transit used by surveyors? They can be quite accurate.

Hey iam stuck here ! have only got plum lines and a measuring tape, does anyone know the answer to my query - beam is approx 60ft long and has one curve - looks like 90 degree although again i,am looking for the easiest formula to determine.

Thanks

Measure the length along the curve (beam), the chord (straight line distance from beginning to end of the curve, and the maximum distance between the straight line and the curve. Actually you only need any 2 of these measurements. Now draw a sketch of an arc, center of arc, radius, chord, angle of arc, and use some trigonometry.

Last edited:

1. What is beam curve measurement?

Beam curve measurement is a method used to determine the shape and intensity distribution of a light beam. It involves placing a detector at various positions along the beam path and measuring the light intensity at each point. This data is then used to create a curve that illustrates the shape of the beam.

2. Why is beam curve measurement important?

Beam curve measurement is important for a variety of reasons. It allows for the characterization and optimization of optical systems, ensuring that light is properly focused and directed. It also helps to identify any aberrations or distortions in the beam, which can affect the accuracy and precision of scientific experiments and industrial processes.

3. How is beam curve measurement typically performed?

Beam curve measurement is typically performed using a laser beam profiler or a beam profiler camera. These devices use either a scanning slit or a CCD camera to capture the intensity distribution of the beam at different points along its path. The data is then processed and plotted to create a beam profile curve.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of beam curve measurement?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of beam curve measurement. These include the quality and alignment of the optical components, the stability of the light source, and the sensitivity and calibration of the detector. Environmental factors such as temperature and air currents can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.

5. How can beam curve measurement be used in practical applications?

Beam curve measurement has a wide range of practical applications in fields such as astronomy, medicine, and industrial manufacturing. It can be used to optimize laser systems for medical procedures, to ensure the accuracy of optical telescopes and microscopes, and to improve the efficiency of laser cutting and welding processes. It is also useful in research and development for characterizing new optical materials and designs.