1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help required for surface reflection circuit (IR-LED/ PHOTODIODE)

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1

I am new to this forum but have been interested in reading many threads and would like to know if any of the experts could help.

I am looking to make a circuit that I can measure different output levels of a photodiode from the ammount of "signal" reflected onto it from a particular glass surface

My idea is to set the angle of the transmitter / receiver to get the optimum reading on a known surface coating on the glass, I would then like to measure a range of coatings and see if I can establish a significant measurable difference between them.

Ideally the transmitter and receiver would be about 5cm apart and I coulkd make some sort of light tube to optimize the reflected signal if possible.

I am looking for advice on a circuit so that I can measure the output of the photodiode as I do not want to use it as a switch like high or low , I want to be able to measure the output in mV so that I can then process the different levels into some meaningful data. I would also like advice if it would be better to use a very bright LED to reflect off the glass or an infrared LED?

Sorry if I have not explained myself very well but I hope someone can understand what I want to do.

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted