Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help required on motion control

1. Jun 25, 2009 #1
    Hi all

Im very new to all of this and require help and guidance with my project.

The aim of my project is to rotate an inner tube (35mm long 20mm diameter) within another tube (21mm diameter - 80mm length) one full 360' turn and then stop in 0.05 seconds, ready for the next command. If the user can press the button 15 times a second it will turn 15 times (0.05 per turn).

Ive been reseaching stepper motors but not sure if they are the right "tool" to use.

Can you please suggest a method how I could preform this motion.

I have created a model of what I need and have used a cordless drill as the "engine" to turn the parts and the method works. Now I just need to scale the "engine" into the body of the object.

thanks in advance.

appologise if this is in the wrong forum.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2009 #2
    How precise must the motion be with respect to rotation and time?
    What is the load? (How much weight is spinning around?)
    Will it be in continuous use, or is it just for a demonstration?

There are a number of off-the-shelf stepper/servo drivers in a wide price range. Depending on how much you want to learn, you can find quite a few plans on instructables.com, hackaday.com, and other DIY sites.

4. Jun 25, 2009 #3
    hi pantaz

thx for the quick reply and sites.

How precise must the motion be with respect to rotation and time?

The time must be able to do about 20 rotations per second if required. With regards to the rotation, it must be able to start in "A" position and finish in "A" +/- 0.5mm

What is the load? (How much weight is spinning around?)

the weight is +/- 30g

Will it be in continuous use, or is it just for a demonstration?

the final product will be used for 15 - 20 minute intervals over 4 hour period or longer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook