Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Required regarding COMSOL

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1

I am Pretty New to COMSOL & using it for my thesis work. I have started reading COMSOL multiphysics user's guide & able to draw geometry's. But i am unable to analyze a model like using Boundary setting etc.. I am very confused with the Options>sub domain/boundary expressions & physics>sub domain/boundary settings.. Can any tell me what these both mean & what is the best way to start learning comsol.

Thanks & Regards
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Phanindra,

the boundary and subdomain settings specify the various coefficients and properties of the PDE(s) you're solving in the respective domain (~geometric element ....... boundary, plane, volume etc.). You can get access to both the properties and the underlying "physics" (implementation and relevant equations of the PDE) which can make it a bit complex at 1st sight.

Since Comsol is perhaps not quite as straightforward as many other software used to solve PDEs, I think the best way to get acquainted with it is to do a couple of tutorials and browse the model library (and do some of those models yourself) ..... this after you've "browsed" the documentation (like the user's guide) a bit so you've a vague idea of what is where and about some of the fundamentals of how it works.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?