Help required with unknown device

• Thread starter bigshow1977
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of a component on a PCB and various opinions are shared on what the device could be. Some suggest it could be a crystal or a programmable oscillator, while others mention it could be a common mode choke or transformer. It is also noted that the labeling of "FCC" may indicate that it is an interference filter. The conversation ends with a request to test for continuity between the pins to determine if it is a transformer or choke.
bigshow1977
Hi

I'm having problems identifying a component on a PCB and i was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on what this device is...

http://db.tt/i1V3uqZf

Anyhelp is appreciated

Rgds

Phil

Engineering news on Phys.org
my guess is its a crystal and the labeling of fcc13 fcc14 ... kind of indicates that

if you know what the board is you might be able to get a schematic online or a user guide.

bigshow1977 said:
Hi

I'm having problems identifying a component on a PCB and i was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on what this device is...

Anyhelp is appreciated

Rgds

Phil

jedishrfu said:
my guess is its a crystal and the labeling of fcc13 fcc14 ... kind of indicates that

I think you are right about it being a frequency source, but my guess would be a programmable oscillator. Especially since they all have the same overall marking, the difference would be in how they are programmed.

This is a similar part:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=AP3S3EJ-ND

When ordering it from Digikey, you tell them what frequency you want them programmed to. I recently ordered some at 38.4000MHz, and the other was 39.3216MHz.

berkeman said:
I think you are right about it being a frequency source, but my guess would be a programmable oscillator. Especially since they all have the same overall marking, the difference would be in how they are programmed.

This is a similar part:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=AP3S3EJ-ND

When ordering it from Digikey, you tell them what frequency you want them programmed to. I recently ordered some at 38.4000MHz, and the other was 39.3216MHz.

I think you nailed it. the device looks remarkably similar to the OP's picture.

You could narrow the search a bit by measuring the resistance from each output pin to the other pins on one of these devices.

Draw up a diagram of the resistances, if any, that you find.

Also note how each of those things are connected to each other via the printed circuit board. Do the power supply lines seem to go through all of them?

The FCC bit makes it sound like an interference filter. FCC is the American Govt agency that deals with radio interference, among other things.

bigshow1977 said:
Hi

Anyhelp is appreciated

Rgds

Phil

Looks like a common mode choke or transformer.

Take a multimeter and test for continuity between the pins. If it beeps between any 2 pins it's either a transformer or choke.

@Berkemen, are you sure it's a Surface mount crystal?
The part in the ckt, looks more like a plastic box than a SMD component.

likephysics said:
@Berkemen, are you sure it's a Surface mount crystal?
The part in the ckt, looks more like a plastic box than a SMD component.

Yeah, looks like an SMT part to me from that view. Kind of similar to an SO-8 package, but with only 4 leads. I could be wrong, of course.

1. What should I do if I encounter an unknown device on my computer?

If you encounter an unknown device on your computer, the first step is to identify the device. You can do this by checking the device manager or using a hardware identification tool. Once you have identified the device, you can search for the appropriate drivers or software to install.

2. Why is it important to install drivers for unknown devices?

Installing drivers for unknown devices is important because it allows the device to properly communicate with your computer. Without the proper drivers, the device may not function correctly or may not be recognized by your computer at all.

3. How can I find the correct drivers for an unknown device?

The best way to find the correct drivers for an unknown device is to use the hardware ID to search for the drivers on the manufacturer's website. You can also use a driver update software or contact the manufacturer directly for assistance.

4. Can I use generic drivers for unknown devices?

In some cases, generic drivers may work for unknown devices. However, it is always recommended to use the specific drivers provided by the manufacturer for optimal performance and compatibility.

5. What should I do if I am unable to find drivers for an unknown device?

If you are unable to find drivers for an unknown device, you can try contacting the manufacturer for assistance. You can also search for the device's specifications and look for similar devices that may have compatible drivers. If all else fails, you may need to replace the device with one that is supported by your computer's operating system.