How Can I Delete a Partition and Restore Free Space Back to Windows XP?

• Thread starter only_huce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partition
In summary, the speaker recently installed ubuntu netbook remix on their netbook, but it turned out to be more buggy than expected. They are now trying to delete the partition and restore the free space back to Windows XP, but they do not have a recovery disk. They are looking for possible solutions, such as posting the bug in Ubuntu or trying the desktop version. They can safely delete the partition using gparted, but this will delete all data in the partition.
only_huce
I recently installed ubuntu netbook remix on my newly bought netbook to try it out. I created a new partition on my HDD from the free disk space to install ubuntu on. So right now I have dual boot ubuntu and windows xp. The ubuntu netbook remix turned out to be more buggy than I thought and I'm trying to delete the partition and restore the freespace back to windows xp. Is this possible? I don't have a recovery disk for xp since my netbook doesn't have an optical drive. Does anyone have any possible solutions? Anything would be helpful right now.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you would post the bug in Ubuntu...maybe we can fix it.

Alternatively you can try the desktop version.

You can safely delete the partition and format it in fat32/ntfs (notice, this will delete all data in the partition).

Use gparted for this (in ubuntu commandline with the net connected) -

sudo apt-get install gparted

I would recommend exploring different options for restoring the partition and freeing up space on your HDD. One option could be using a partition management tool such as EaseUS Partition Master which allows you to resize, move, and merge partitions without losing data. This would allow you to resize your ubuntu partition and merge it back with your Windows XP partition without the need for a recovery disk.

Another option could be using a live USB or external hard drive to boot into a live version of Windows XP and use the command prompt to delete the ubuntu partition and extend the Windows XP partition. This method would also not require a recovery disk.

It is important to note that whenever making changes to partitions, there is a risk of data loss. It is always recommended to backup important data before making any changes.

Additionally, you may want to consider trying a different version of Ubuntu, such as the standard desktop version, to see if it is less buggy on your netbook. Or, you could try a different operating system altogether.

In summary, there are multiple options for restoring a partition and freeing up space on your HDD. I would recommend researching and exploring different methods to find the best solution for your specific situation.

1. Why can't I access my partition?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to access your partition. It could be due to a corrupted file system, a damaged partition table, or a hardware failure. It is important to identify the root cause before attempting to restore the partition.

2. Can I restore a deleted partition?

Yes, it is possible to restore a deleted partition. There are several partition recovery software programs available that can help you recover your lost partition. However, it is important to act quickly and avoid using the affected partition to increase the chances of successful recovery.

3. What is the best way to restore a partition?

The best way to restore a partition will depend on the cause of data loss. If the partition was accidentally deleted, using a partition recovery software is recommended. If the partition is corrupted, you may need to use data recovery software to retrieve your files. In some cases, seeking professional help from a data recovery service may be necessary.

4. Will restoring a partition cause data loss?

In most cases, restoring a partition will not cause data loss as the data is still present on the hard drive. However, it is always recommended to create a backup of your important files before attempting any partition recovery to avoid any potential data loss.

5. Can I restore a partition without any software?

In some cases, it may be possible to restore a partition without using any software. If the partition was accidentally deleted, you may be able to recover it using the "Disk Management" tool in Windows or the "Disk Utility" in Mac. However, for more severe data loss situations, using specialized software or seeking professional help may be necessary.