1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! river crossing confusion =(

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1
    Woo. Nevermind the rest of this message. I figured it out =))))

Hello all :)

Am having brain fart, I need help (obiviously) from the experts! All the tutorials and examples about the classic boat crossing a river aren't helping me with this problem.

"A woman can row a boat at 6.3 km/h in still water. (Assume i points to the far side of the river, perpendicular to the current, and j points in the direction of the current.)"

At this point, I drew a diagram. As for vectors, i is 105 m/min [answers require meters/minutes] perpendicular to shore, I assumed current to be heading east (downriver in my drawing).
    .....--------> 0 m/min j....................|

This makes sense, b/c it would take roughly 52 mins to cross to a point directly across. Then comes the confusing bits.....

(a) If she is crossing a river where the current is 3.2 km/h, in what direction must her boat be headed if she wants to reach a point directly opposite her starting point? (in degrees)

(b) How long will it take her to cross the river? (in minutes)

Based on the above, i is still 105 m/min and j is now ~53.3 m/min, so the resultant would be 117.5 m/min.... I think.
    From there, I'm lost. Please help!

-Jen

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2
    90 degrees- tan-1(6.3/3.2)

is the angle

4. Feb 7, 2005 #3
    what your email and ill send you a good diagram

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?