Self-Service Help: Boost Site Popularity and Aid Those in Need

• Thread starter aek
  • Start date
In summary, Daniel thinks that there should be areas on the site specifically for self-service aid, such as common formulas and theory, in order to help people in need. He also thinks that this would be a lot of work and may not be worth it. He also thinks that the responsibility to find formulae should be placed on the student, rather than the PF member. AEKI does not agree with Daniel and thinks that the help section should be more comprehensive and that the responsibility to find formulae should be placed on the PF member.
aek
I reckon there should be areas in this site for self service aid, ie. some common formulas, some theory etc. It's not for myself, but i believe it may enhance the sites popularity and most importantly help to person in need...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the point.If it's help,then people should ask for help.

There are plenty of websites with theory on physics & mathematics.This is a forum,after all.

Daniel.

Such help sections are generally known as textbooks.
Cramming a page at PF with formulas grabbed out of nowhere will not be of help at all for students who are uncertain about what the relevant physical principles are in the context of their particular problem.

Well, I don't think it would hurt. There certainly are other sites with that information, but it would be nice to have a quick reference on hand so that I don't, for example, have to write out the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution everytime somebody asks about it.

This is probably more work than it's worth, but it would be cool if there was some set of "auto-load" Latex formulae for common questions. This could theoretically be integrated with a formula reference section.

Not to mention that we have almost everywhere links to online reference:hyperphysics,mathworld,...

It would be really useless.

Daniel.

You specifically ASK for help. I've seen numerous amounts of times that the help is inaccurate or the person's answer is to vague, mind you, this is not all the time. Wouldn't it be MORE convenient IF everything was in one web address?

That's why it's called a FORUM (everyone is free to contribute to a thread) and that's why we have >18,000 members,because people are interested and not all of them are physicists and,of course,they can be wrong...

The answer to your last question is NO...

Daniel.

aek said:
I reckon there should be areas in this site for self service aid, ie. some common formulas, some theory etc.
I think textbooks should be used for that purpose, the point of the forum is to help with understanding concepts presented in those.

There is a glossary under development on this forum, which can be found here https://www.physicsforums.com/glossaire.php everyone is free to contribute sections, after which they are reviewed and put online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you have to be a physicist to answer most of the questions here buddy...I sound understanding is enough platform to help. And let me reiterate to you Daniel, it was an idea not an insult, so don't get all cocky about it.

AEK

I didn't take it as an insult,just not as an appropriate argument to sustain your claim.Everyone can be wrong.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I didn't take it as an insult,just not as an appropriate argument to sustain your claim.Everyone can be wrong.

This is really an argument about preference here and I think you are being unnecessarily condescending to him. I still disagree that it wouldn't be useful, though I acknowledge that it would be a lot of work and may not be worth it. I would find it very convenient to have basic formulae in fields in which I'm not an expert immediately available on PF, rather than having to search my bookshelf or the web. Also, latex shortcuts for the formulae I do know would also be handy, as I said.

An alternative to constructing a database would be to construct a catalogued library of posts from respected PF members.

This idea came up a long time ago and it didn't go anywhere. Speaking for myself, I've never been a fan of the "crib sheet" method of learning or teaching. I think that it's the student's responsibility to find formulae. If he can't or won't do that, then he's got more problems than any PF member could help him with.

SpaceTiger said:
Also, latex shortcuts for the formulae I do know would also be handy, as I said.

That's easy: You type it once, save the code in a document, and copy and paste it whenever you want to use it. That's what I do! :cool:

Tom Mattson said:
This idea came up a long time ago and it didn't go anywhere. Speaking for myself, I've never been a fan of the "crib sheet" method of learning or teaching. I think that it's the student's responsibility to find formulae. If he can't or won't do that, then he's got more problems than any PF member could help him with.

I thought the idea was to use it as a reference, not a learning tool... I use tabulated formulae and reference material all the time.

That's easy: You type it once, save the code in a document, and copy and paste it whenever you want to use it. That's what I do! :cool:

Yeah, I do that as well, but then I've always been a shortcut junkie, so I try to make things as quick as is humanly possible. It's why I love teh P3rl!

Tom Mattson said:

Space Tiger said:
Yeah, I do that as well, but then I've always been a shortcut junkie, so I try to make things as quick as is humanly possible (...)

Do u really do that? :eek: What an idea! :bugeye: I don't usually use "common formulae",so i don't have reasons for shortcuts and code usage of copy-paste...Maybe for a "+" or "-" i could do it,because i really use them really often,but naah,i'm good with fingers... :tongue2:

Daniel. (i even type the smilies)

I do think it would be kind of cool to be able to put "schrodinger" between TeX tags and then *poof* the equation appears. But chroot can only do so much, and I'd REALLY like it if he could get us the ability to do Feynman diagrams. :biggrin:

dextercioby said:
I don't usually use "common formulae",so i don't have reasons for shortcuts and code usage of copy-paste...

Yeah, it's hilarious when you answer questions about projectile motion with stuff about the double slit experiment. :rofl:

What does that have to do with formulas...?I remember that thread,yet i don't recall using any formulas,maybe you have (certainly you did).Ssssssst,i've seen him post in the string forum as well.~wink~

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
What does that have to do with formulas...?

Oh, you didn't use any, but I was just commenting on your usual treatment of simple questions. No offense intended, just fooling around. :wink:

I always find it interesting to see the advanced theory on the subject, even if the OP doesn't understand.

I use formulas only when i please...:wink: I treat simple questions how i please...

Daniel.

1. What is self-service help and how does it boost site popularity?

Self-service help is a feature that allows users to find answers to common questions or troubleshoot issues on a website without having to contact customer support. By providing this resource, it can decrease the number of inquiries and increase customer satisfaction, ultimately boosting site popularity.

2. How can self-service help be implemented on a website?

Self-service help can be implemented through a knowledge base or FAQ section on the website. This can be created by the website owner or by using a third-party software or service. It can also be integrated into chatbots or virtual assistants for a more interactive experience.

3. Does self-service help benefit both the website owner and the users?

Yes, self-service help benefits both parties. Website owners can save time and resources by reducing the number of support inquiries and improving customer satisfaction. Users can quickly find the answers they need without having to wait for a response from customer support.

4. Can self-service help be used for all types of websites?

Yes, self-service help can be beneficial for all types of websites, from e-commerce sites to educational platforms. Any website that has a high volume of user inquiries can benefit from implementing self-service help.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to implementing self-service help?

One potential drawback is the initial time and effort required to set up a self-service help system. It may also require ongoing maintenance and updates to keep information relevant. Additionally, some users may still prefer to contact customer support directly, so it is important to have multiple support options available.