1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Help selecting courses

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    Hey all,

I'm looking for some help in selecting courses for the spring. I'm a sophomore physics major, hoping to pursue a PhD after graduation. Although I'm not sure what subfield I'll want to be in, odds are it'll be something theoretical. So far I've taken Intro Physics I and II, Calc I-III, and Advanced Classical Mechanics. I've self-studied and picked up differential equations and linear algebra enough to be effective in my courses. For the spring, I'm definitely taking Quantum Mechanics I and proof-based Linear Algebra. I'm wondering what other math I should consider taking. My options include are Intro to Analysis, Ordinary Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, and Algebraic Topology. What would you guys recommend? I know this is a somewhat subjective question, but I'm just looking for some opinions.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    I would definitely suggest both differential equations and complex analysis. At my university if one is pursuing Mathematical Physics they are obligated to take such courses, among numerous others.

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Definitely take the ODE and PDE courses. You will benifit so much from these courses!!

5. Nov 17, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the advice, guys. Micromass, do you see anything wrong with taking ODEs and PDEs at the same time, considering I already have some knowledge of ODEs?

6. Nov 17, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It depends from the specific course. Sometimes you can take it the same time, sometimes not. I would ask the instructor of the PDE course what he thinks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook