Help, set theory proving

In summary, the conversation discusses various proofs and counterexamples related to set operations, such as intersection and union. It also explores the relationship between sets and their subsets. The main conclusion is that for any sets A, B, and C in a universe U, A contained B if and only if A n B = A. Additionally, it is shown that A contained B if and only if A union C contained B union C.
mbcsantin
I tried to do the questions but I am just not sure if i did it right. id appreciate if you can check my work and let me know what changes i have to make. thanks

the symbol "n" means "intersect"
U for Union

Question: Prove A contained B iff A n B = A

Answer:

(=>) Assume A contained B

Let x is an element of A, since A n A = A, x is an element of A and x is an element of B

Case 1: x is an element of A: Since A contained B, x is an element of B so
x is an element of A n B

Case 2: x is an element of B: If x is an element of B then
x is an element of (A n B)

Hence x is an element of A n B

This shows A contained A n B

(<=) Assume A n B = A then

A’=A’UA
= A’ U (A n B)
=(A’UA) n (A’U B)
= empty set n A’ U B
= A’ U B

Hence
Universe = A’ U B

Question: Prove the following: For any sets A, B, C in a universe U:

a) A n B = Universe iff A = Universe and B = Universe

Answer:
Suppose A n B = U and suppose that A is a proper subset of U then
x is an element of B but
x is not an element of A n B since x is not an element of A

Question: Prove or find counterexamples. For any sets A, B, C in a universe U:

a) if A union C contained B union C then A contained B

Answer: Let A be the empty set, and let B = C
Then A union C = B and
B union C = B so,
A union C contains B union C, but A does not contain B because A is the empty set and B is not.

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It provides a foundation for other areas of mathematics, such as algebra and analysis.

2. What is a proof in set theory?

A proof in set theory is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a statement or proposition about sets. It typically involves using axioms and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

3. How do I prove a statement in set theory?

To prove a statement in set theory, you must follow a logical sequence of steps using the rules and properties of sets. This may involve using definitions, axioms, and previously proven theorems to construct a valid argument.

4. What are the most common methods of proof in set theory?

The most common methods of proof in set theory include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. Direct proof involves using logical deductions to show that a statement is true. Proof by contradiction shows that a statement must be true by assuming its opposite is false. Proof by induction is used to prove statements about infinite sets by showing that they hold for the first element and then using mathematical induction to show that they hold for all subsequent elements.

5. What are some tips for successfully proving statements in set theory?

Some tips for successfully proving statements in set theory include being familiar with the axioms and definitions of sets, having a strong understanding of logical reasoning, and practicing regularly. It is also helpful to break down complex statements into smaller, more manageable parts and to carefully consider the properties and relationships of sets involved in the statement. Additionally, seeking feedback and guidance from others, such as professors or colleagues, can also be beneficial in improving one's proof-writing skills.