Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Setting Up Server!

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1
    Hello I just aquired a Pentium 2 400 MHZ Kayak with 160 MB of ram with 2- 2-gig hard drives running Windows NT. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I would need to do to create a web server. If you could provide any help at all it would be great. Thanks,

-Tom

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2

graphic7

Gold Member

You probably want to install Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server. Windows NT uses a pretty old version of IIS - nothing that you want to put out onto the Internet. Once you install Windows 2000 || 2003 Server, we can go from there.

If you're wanting to turn this server into a web server that hosts dynamic content (PHP, MySQL, etc.), I'd forget about Windows, and start considering UNIX-like alternatives such as FreeBSD, Solaris, and possibly Linux.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  4. Jan 30, 2005 #3
    How would I go about creating it into a Unix-like alternative?

5. Jan 30, 2005 #4
    Would I need to download Suse or something/>?

6. Jan 30, 2005 #5

graphic7

Gold Member

SuSE would be a start. You'll need to download something, whether it be FreeBSD, Solaris, or Linux. Since your relatively new to the UNIX scene, I'd recommend you go with SuSE or Fedora. I've recommended Fedora to a user or so around here, and they seem to be satisfied with it.

If you do plan on going with Fedora it's 4 CDs, I believe, and you'll be wanting Core 3. The distribution, itself, and plenty of documentation for once you get it installed can be found at:

http://fedora.redhat.com/

When installing, I recommend you choose the 'Server' installation schema. This should install PHP, Apache, MySQL, and plenty of other stuff you might need later on.

7. Jan 30, 2005 #6
  8. Jan 30, 2005 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You'll want:

[ ] FC3-i386-disc1.iso 03-Nov-2004 17:05 617M
    [ ] FC3-i386-disc2.iso 03-Nov-2004 17:07 638M
    [ ] FC3-i386-disc3.iso 03-Nov-2004 17:08 637M
    [ ] FC3-i386-disc4.iso 03-Nov-2004 17:10 386M

If the download is too slow try this site:

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=64

9. Jan 30, 2005 #8
    Alright... hmm I just realized I am going to have to get a bigger harddrive... the 2-2gb harddrives won't cut it. Also I am considering trading in my 3 megabit cable internet for 5 mb up/down DSL... which I found out about today... what do you think?

10. Jan 30, 2005 #9

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

11. Jan 30, 2005 #10
    Is it easier to set up a server using fedora

Basically what would be the advantages to using gentoo?

12. Jan 30, 2005 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It is a much smaller install and you get to learn about the inner workings of linux.

But yeah, go ahead with fedora. It will be much easier and quickier to get up and running. I was just suggested gentoo because you said you didn't have much room

13. Jan 30, 2005 #12
    Hmm maybe I will try gentoo on some of the other computers I recently aquired.

14. Jan 31, 2005 #13

graphic7

Gold Member

I installed Gentoo last week. Took roughly two times before I was able to do an install without looking at the documentation. I was quite disappointed in Gentoo given all the hype that surrounds it. It's certainly not ready for a production environment, but that really isn't the focus in this thread. Yes, you can minimize the packages on your system, but I consider the pain of the install, itself, not worth it.

If you want to have a minimal distribution, and you're willing to spend 4 hours - 1 day+ (depends on your hardware) installing it, go for it; it'd be worth your time in that case. It's a decent distribution to experiment with, however, it'd take you quite awhile to setup a server with all the packages you'll need. A Fedora "server" schema install would not install too many more packages (and you should also have some space left to boast) than all the dependencies Gentoo will build to install Apache, PHP, and MySQL. Sure, you'll have plenty of other stuff installed, but you never know when you might need it, nor will you have to wait to build the packages.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  15. Jan 31, 2005 #14
    Alright well I am taking parts from my old 2200 to create the server
    I would do it the other way around but I don't have a video card for it since I went dual montior on my 2600

16. Jan 31, 2005 #15
    HAAHAHAHAHA
    I am so stupid
    I took out the hard drive from my 2200 which has no video card so I could run it on the 400 mhz computer as a server with fedora, but then I realized I should just take the Matriox AGP video card from my old server and pop it into my 2200 and use it as the server...

17. Jan 31, 2005 #16
    Hey umm what do i do with these iso's i downloaded....

I have burned about `10 cds and none work. I was wondering if somone could tell me what exactly I should do.

18. Jan 31, 2005 #17
    What's happening (or not happening)?

19. Jan 31, 2005 #18
    Switch to Apache :D

20. Jan 31, 2005 #19
    how are you burning them ?

In nero, err.. Burn -> Burn CD image i think.

21. Jan 31, 2005 #20
    Tom, can you be more specific about what doesn't work? Can that machine boot from other cds, but not from those cds? Are the cds unreadable? Does it boot but not install? Or is there some other problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?