Setting Up Pentium 2 400MHz Web Server - Help Needed

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Server
In summary, if you want to create a web server, you'll need to install Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server, and then choose the 'Server' installation schema. If you want to minimize the packages on your system, you'll want to try Gentoo.
What program are you using to burn the images with? Have you tried lowering the write speed?

Computer science news on Phys.org
My 2 cent: Switch to Suse or Debian. 15Mb initial download(for Suse). The rest is downloaded as you need during the install. Suse is easy to install but the download on demand thing means the install will take a little longer--(about as long as an XP install :) ). Debian can be a little daunting but it's do-able even for a neophite. Both are fast and apt-get/YaST are excellent software instillation schemes.

Nero-- I have slowed it down to 16 x from a 48 x burner... I am having my friends burn it for me now to see if that was the problem. I am getting rid of the nero I have and getting a newer version

This is making me very frustrated...

I found a great md5 checksum and checked all the images with another program... they are all correct. Then I figured maybe it was my burning program... so I upgraded to Nero 6 Ultra Edition. This allowed me a sucessful burn of the CD, but when I put it in the new computer to start the set up, if failed again. It had the same hardrive error that there may not be ennough space on the harddrive. Anyway I was getting curious as to what was on the harddrive, so I pluged it into this computer. The hardrive 40 gigs is completely blank, and it is not formated. So what do I do now? I have tried to format the the drive using right click format but when I do this nothing comes up.

It shouldn't matter if the hard drive isn't formatted. During the install everything is loaded into RAM.

You seem to be stuck in a rut, trying basically the same thing over & over. Well, if it didn't work the first 10 tries, it probably won't work on the 11th. :yuck:

A few months ago, I was trying to install the gentoo that dduardo knows & loves on a machine with all pretty new (but not 'brand new' so I knew the hardware was all working) hardware: an Asus motherboard & nvidia nforce chipset. I burned about 6 copies (md5sum checked) of their minimal install cd using 3 different cdr drives on 3 different machines and 4 different cd burning programs. None would even boot the nvidia machine, although they did boot just fine on the 2 other machines I was using for burning. And there was nothing wrong with the nvidia machine either -- it was already running Windows XP and another linux distro just fine. Eventually I found that other people were having the same problem with that .iso on that particular motherboard model. The solution turned out to be simply to download & burn the Gentoo "universal live cd" (the "full" install cd) & after that everything worked. AFAIK Gentoo never acknowledged that there was a bug in the minimal cd. It seemed to work for other motherboards. Apparently there was just some incompatibility between it and something on that Asus A7N8X motherboard.

Anyway, back to your situation. Try something different. Maybe there's something wrong with that harddrive, maybe something wrong with the controller (on the mb). Maybe something in the fedora installation is incompatible with something in your bios. It could be any number of things. I think you said you had a few machines available. So why not try: a different hard drive in that box; a different box altogether; a different version of fedora (maybe try one with a 2.4 kernel instead of 2.6); a different linux distro.

I got fedora installed and runninng... that was a pain in the ass. The main problem was it was using my swap partion as the main partion instead of vise versa so I poped in a windows 95 or 98 cd (can't remember now) delted the partision table then recreated the partisions. Then it was just a matter of finding a computer that burned isos properly and VOLLA

Fedora is ready to go...

Now about how to set up the server.