Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help settle something please.

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    Exactly at what point in time did Bush's axis of evil speech happen? I had thought it was post-9/11 but I'm not 100% sure. Someone I know claims had it not been for that speech 9/11 would not have happened, North Korea would not have developed a nuke and Iran would not be working so hard at whatever it is they are doing. This will only be settled in my own mind because no matter what ANYONE says, you will never change his mind. I've really given up on trying to correct people. In this particular case I'd rather watch him be wrong and laugh about it under my breath instead of trying to correct him. Of course, if I'm wrong, I'll just drop the whole thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    Thanks. That is what I thought, but I was wondering if it were possible something similar had already been mentioned in a previous speech. I don't think so. For one, I don't think speech writers would do that. I also just plain don't remember it happening until it actually happened in the post 9/11 state of the union speech. Although both of us can't stand Bush, it sickens me to see the misinformation he bases his decisions on.

5. Oct 17, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Oct 17, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That wik link is a good in-depth discussion of the term.

One thing I think people need to be careful of here is reading between the lines too much. The main criticism of the term is that it implies a coherent alliance like in WWII, but since we are not actually in an open world war right now, there is no reason to conclude that Bush is implying anything more than a potential alliance. It is much more reasonable to conclude that he was just using the the term as a categorization of potential enemies.

WRT the OP: very little of what is happening in the world today is unique to this year or even decade. North Korea and Iraq, for example, were pursuing nuclear weapons on and off, for decades.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  7. Oct 17, 2006 #6
    Yes Russ I realize what you are saying and fully agree. However, I cannot convince this person of that. They don't realize how long it takes to develope a nuke. You can't just sit down one day and decide to build one without having ever mined the materials it takes to do it and come up with a nuke in a year or so without any outside help. Some people you are just better off keeping your mouth shut with. I often hear this person say: "See, I told you this would happen." Really though, any person with an IQ above 10 could have predicted it. However, this person forgets all the times that their predictions turn out totally wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?