1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Showing d/dt of Char. Polynomial

1. Feb 14, 2005 #1
    I've been working on a problem all day but I can't seem to go anywhere with it. I have to prove the following equation holds, in which [tex]P_A(t)[/tex] refers to the characteristic polynomial of an n by n matrix A and is expressed in terms of t. Also, [tex]P_A_i(t)[/tex] is the characteristic polynomial of the principal submatrix formed by removing row i and column i from A, also expressed in terms of t. The equation is:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}P_A(t) = \sum_{i=1}^n P_A_i(t) [/tex]

I've been trying to prove it by induction, using the following formula for the left side. In the formula, for a given k, [tex]E_k(A)[/tex] is the sum of the k-by-k principal minors of A.:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}P_A(t) = nt^n^-^1 - (n-1)E_1(A)t^n^-^2 + (n-2)E_2(A)t^n - ... \pm E_n_-_1(A) [/tex]

I'm not sure how to arrive at the right side of the first equation at all. I've tried rearranging it, but I don't know how to make up for the fact that all of the (n-1) by (n-1) principal submatrices of A are different. My only interpretation of the right hand side is as the sum of the characteristic polynomials of all (n-1) by (n-1) principal submatrices of A, but I can't seem to draw anything from that. Am I on an entirely wrong path, or am I just missing a step somewhere?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted