Solve Simple Math Problem with Different Digits - Help Needed!

• Thread starter johnnyies
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving the digits A, B, and C and figuring out the value of A. The equations being used are 2A + 11B = 111C and 2A + 11B = X + C, with the possibility of X being either 0, 1, or 2. Through a step by step process, it is determined that the only possible value for X is 1, with C being 1 and B being 9.
johnnyies

Homework Statement

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7789/imagesj.png [Broken]
a, b, c are different digits. Figure out A.

Homework Equations

~

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know, 2A+ 11B = 111C

A + A + B = X + C but the leading digit is added to B in the next column to get C

Not sure though. I'm probably overlooking the answer to this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm pretty sure C=1. Can you tell me why? Look at the second and third columns.

Last edited:
Can you further explain why it's 1?

What else could it be? The largest A and B could be is 9 and 8. 9+ 9+ 8= 26 so the largest number that could be "carried" to the second column is 2. Whether B is 8 or 9, adding a 2 carries only a 1 into the third column.

In other words, you can't get 222 out of adding 2A+11B with A,B between 0-9.

With that X in: [itex]2A+11B=X+C[/itex] I reckon it's best to change it to 10X and obviously (by the same idea that hallsofivy has given) X can be reduced down to being either 0,1 or 2.

Now, can you explain why [itex]X\neq 0[/itex]? And finally figure out what the only possible value of X is?

Step By step:
1) What is the maximum number can 2A+B gives?
2)What could be in the tenth place of 2A+B?
3)What is in the tenth place could add B to give 10C+C , given C is a digit , it explains the statement made by Dick:"C=1" & B= 9
4)Equating to first equation that 2A+B=10C+C , A= ? .

1) What is a simple math problem?

A simple math problem is a basic mathematical equation that can be solved using fundamental operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2) How do I solve a simple math problem?

To solve a simple math problem, first identify the operations involved (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division). Then, follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) to perform the operations in the correct order. Finally, check your answer to ensure it is correct.

3) What if I don't understand the math problem?

If you don't understand the math problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and solving them one at a time. You can also ask a friend or teacher for help, or look for resources online that explain the concept in a different way.

4) Can I use a calculator to solve a simple math problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a simple math problem. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of how to solve the problem manually in case you do not have access to a calculator.

5) Why is it important to learn how to solve simple math problems?

Solving simple math problems is important because it builds a foundation for more complex math concepts. It also helps with critical thinking, problem-solving, and practical life skills such as budgeting and measuring. Additionally, many careers require a basic understanding of math, and being proficient in simple math problems can open up opportunities for future success.