Can this equation be simplified?

• B
  • Thread starter rede96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplifying
In summary, the conversation is about simplifying two equations involving theta, x, and d. Despite some attempts at formatting and substitution, there is not much to simplify. However, the equations do have an interesting contour plot, which one person compares to a seismograph or modern art. The speaker also mentions using the equations in their current form and asks about the significance of the contour plot. Another person inputs the equations into Wolfram Alpha and gets a simpler form, but someone else points out that this may not be correct due to the use of degrees instead of radians. It is also noted that this result is the same as the application of a trigonometric identity.
rede96
Hi, just wondering if anyone could help me simplify (if possible) the following two equations.

x = sin((cos(((1-(cos(θ/2)^2))*360)/2)+1)/2*θ)*(d/2)

x = cos((cos(((1-(cos(θ/2)^2))*360)/2)+1)/2*θ)*d/2)*2

My math is pretty crap, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
Apart from some formatting and ##1-\cos^2(x) = \sin^2(x)## , there is not much to simplify. It has an interesting contour plot, however.

Oh well, will have to use them in the current form. Thanks anyway.

If you don't mind me asking (as I really am crap at math) why is the contour plot interesting?

rede96 said:
Oh well, will have to use them in the current form. Thanks anyway.

If you don't mind me asking (as I really am crap at math) why is the contour plot interesting?
It looks like right from a seismograph or a piece of modern art.

fresh_42 said:
It looks like right from a seismograph or a piece of modern art.

Tbh, I didn't see anything special in it either.

For the record (Source: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin((cos(((1-(cos(θ/2)^2))*360)/2)+1)/2*θ)*(d/2))
gif&s=59.gif

Likes mfb
I typed your equation and "simplify" into wolframalpha, and this is what I got
It has a simpler looking form for x, d and theta real.

mfb said:
It has an interesting contour plot, however.
fresh_42 said:
My guess is that this is incorrect, as the 360 smells of degrees, leading to a much too rapid oscillation and a crappy contour plot. Change the 360 to 2*pi and you get something much more banal.

Edgardo said:
I typed your equation and "simplify" into wolframalpha, and this is what I got
It has a simpler looking form for x, d and theta real.
This is the same result as
mfb said:
##1-\cos^2(x) = \sin^2(x)##

1. How do I know which method to use when simplifying an equation?

There are many different methods for simplifying equations, such as combining like terms, factoring, and using the distributive property. The best method to use will depend on the specific equation and what you are trying to achieve. It is important to understand the different methods and practice using them to determine which one is most appropriate for a given equation.

2. What is the purpose of simplifying an equation?

Simplifying an equation is important because it helps to make the equation more manageable and easier to solve. By removing unnecessary terms or rearranging the equation, we can see the relationship between different parts of the equation more clearly, making it easier to find a solution.

3. Can I simplify any equation?

Yes, you can simplify any equation. However, some equations may be more complex and require more advanced techniques to simplify. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and understanding of different simplification methods to tackle more challenging equations.

4. Are there any rules to follow when simplifying an equation?

Yes, there are some basic rules to follow when simplifying an equation. These include combining like terms, using the correct order of operations, and being careful when dealing with negative numbers. It is also important to pay attention to the given instructions or restrictions in the equation.

5. What if I make a mistake while simplifying an equation?

Making mistakes is a normal part of the learning process. If you make a mistake while simplifying an equation, you can always go back and retrace your steps to find where you went wrong. It is also helpful to double-check your work and use a calculator if necessary to avoid simple errors. Practice makes perfect, so keep practicing and you will become more confident in your ability to simplify equations.