1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Solve This Linear Equation

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    1. I thought I was doing it right, but Quest said I have to wrong answer. Can some one solve it in steps and produce a final answer so I can compare?

Tan 58=(vi-ayt)/axt

where vi=5.6
    ay=-9.8
    ax=2.1

solve for t.

I got 0.87 for t.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Can you post the actual problem? You have given formula without any information.

4. Oct 9, 2009 #3
    Initially (at time t = 0) a particle is moving vertically at 5.6 m/s and and horizontally at 0 m/s. The particle accelerates horizontally at 2.1 m/s2 . The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . At what time will the particle be traveling at 58◦ with respect to the horizontal?

Sorry about that.

5. Oct 9, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The horizontal distance traveled = 1/2*ax*t^2
    Similarly what is the vertical distance traveled?

6. Oct 9, 2009 #5
    d=1/2*ay*t^2

?

7. Oct 9, 2009 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

No.
    y = Vo*t - 0.5*g*t^2

8. Oct 9, 2009 #7
    Okay, so what do I do with those equations? My prof said it should be as easy as Tan 58=(vi-ayt)/axt
    and whether you need to break that down more or not, I don't know.

9. Oct 9, 2009 #8
    What did you do to get t = 0.87?

If you substitute it into the equation you get tan 58 = -1.60, while in reality tan 58 = 1.60,
    so I think there's a sign error somewhere

10. Oct 9, 2009 #9
    vi-at=tan 58 (at)
    -(-9.8)t=tan58(2.1)t-5.6
    9.8t=3.36t-5.6
    6.44t=-5.6
    t=0.87

but time cant be negative..?

11. Oct 9, 2009 #10

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

This formula is wrong. It should be
    Tanθ = (2vi -ayt)/axt

12. Oct 9, 2009 #11
    so i get -1.74=t

do we just take the absolute value for the time? or have I made another mistake

13. Oct 9, 2009 #12
    you replace a_x and a_y both by a here wich is confusing.
    You made a sign error when moving 5.6 to the right side.
    Another problem that i can see now is that when replacing [itex] v_y [/itex] with[itex] (v_i-a_yt) [/itex] to get your original equation this minus sign already accounted for the fact that gravity would be in the negative y direction. So you should substitute g = 9.8 here, and not g = -9.8
    If your prof really gave you that exact equation with [itex] a_y [/itex] instead of g that would
    be highly misleading, if not wrong.

14. Oct 9, 2009 #13
    Yes, and as a result I have spent a week being confused by this problem...

15. Oct 9, 2009 #14

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Instead of giving the answer, it will be better to show the actual calculations by substituting the values. You can rewrite the expression as
    tan58 = Vo/ax*t - ay/ax. Now solve for t.

16. Oct 9, 2009 #15
    Where do you get the 2 from? The equation comes from [tex] tan(58) = \frac { v_y} {v_x} [/tex]

you just substitute [itex] v_y = v_i - gt [/itex] and [itex] v_x = a_x t [/itex] into it

17. Oct 9, 2009 #16
    okay, so using that I get t=0.426s

18. Oct 9, 2009 #17

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the problem, the time at which position of the particle makes an angle 58 degrees to the horizontal, is required.

19. Oct 10, 2009 #18
    That is not how I interpret this sentence

20. Oct 10, 2009 #19

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In that case it should be " the net velocity in the direction 58 degrees to the horizontal." And I feel, in the problem position is more appropriate than the velocity.

21. Oct 10, 2009 #20
    Instead of giving the answer, it will be better to show the actual calculations by substituting the values. You can rewrite the expression as
    tan58 = Vo/ax*t - ay/ax. Now solve for t.

This formula gave me the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook