How Do I Correctly Solve the Linear Equation tan 58 = (vi - ayt) / (axt)?

In summary, the formula to solve for time in this problem is tan(58) = (v_i - ay*t)/ax*t, where v_i is the initial velocity, ay is the vertical acceleration, and ax is the horizontal acceleration.
Osbourne_Cox
1. I thought I was doing it right, but Quest said I have to wrong answer. Can some one solve it in steps and produce a final answer so I can compare?

Tan 58=(vi-ayt)/axt

where vi=5.6
ay=-9.8
ax=2.1

solve for t.

I got 0.87 for t.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the actual problem? You have given formula without any information.

Initially (at time t = 0) a particle is moving vertically at 5.6 m/s and and horizontally at 0 m/s. The particle accelerates horizontally at 2.1 m/s2 . The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . At what time will the particle be traveling at 58◦ with respect to the horizontal?

Sorry about that.

The horizontal distance traveled = 1/2*ax*t^2
Similarly what is the vertical distance traveled?

d=1/2*ay*t^2

?

Osbourne_Cox said:
d=1/2*ay*t^2

?
No.
y = Vo*t - 0.5*g*t^2

Okay, so what do I do with those equations? My prof said it should be as easy as Tan 58=(vi-ayt)/axt
and whether you need to break that down more or not, I don't know.

What did you do to get t = 0.87?

If you substitute it into the equation you get tan 58 = -1.60, while in reality tan 58 = 1.60,
so I think there's a sign error somewhere

vi-at=tan 58 (at)
-(-9.8)t=tan58(2.1)t-5.6
9.8t=3.36t-5.6
6.44t=-5.6
t=0.87

but time can't be negative..?

Osbourne_Cox said:
Okay, so what do I do with those equations? My prof said it should be as easy as Tan 58=(vi-ayt)/axt
and whether you need to break that down more or not, I don't know.
This formula is wrong. It should be
Tanθ = (2vi -ayt)/axt

so i get -1.74=t

do we just take the absolute value for the time? or have I made another mistake

Osbourne_Cox said:
vi-at=tan 58 (at)
you replace a_x and a_y both by a here which is confusing.
-(-9.8)t=tan58(2.1)t-5.6
You made a sign error when moving 5.6 to the right side.
Another problem that i can see now is that when replacing [itex] v_y [/itex] with[itex] (v_i-a_yt) [/itex] to get your original equation this minus sign already accounted for the fact that gravity would be in the negative y direction. So you should substitute g = 9.8 here, and not g = -9.8
If your prof really gave you that exact equation with [itex] a_y [/itex] instead of g that would
be highly misleading, if not wrong.

Yes, and as a result I have spent a week being confused by this problem...

Osbourne_Cox said:
so i get -1.74=t

do we just take the absolute value for the time? or have I made another mistake
Instead of giving the answer, it will be better to show the actual calculations by substituting the values. You can rewrite the expression as
tan58 = Vo/ax*t - ay/ax. Now solve for t.

rl.bhat said:
This formula is wrong. It should be
Tanθ = (2vi -ayt)/axt

Where do you get the 2 from? The equation comes from [tex] tan(58) = \frac { v_y} {v_x} [/tex]

you just substitute [itex] v_y = v_i - gt [/itex] and [itex] v_x = a_x t [/itex] into it

okay, so using that I get t=0.426s

willem2 said:
Where do you get the 2 from? The equation comes from [tex] tan(58) = \frac { v_y} {v_x} [/tex]

you just substitute [itex] v_y = v_i - gt [/itex] and [itex] v_x = a_x t [/itex] into it
In the problem, the time at which position of the particle makes an angle 58 degrees to the horizontal, is required.

rl.bhat said:
In the problem, the time at which position of the particle makes an angle 58 degrees to the horizontal, is required.

That is not how I interpret this sentence

At what time will the particle be traveling at 58◦ with respect to the horizontal?

willem2 said:
That is not how I interpret this sentence
In that case it should be " the net velocity in the direction 58 degrees to the horizontal." And I feel, in the problem position is more appropriate than the velocity.

Instead of giving the answer, it will be better to show the actual calculations by substituting the values. You can rewrite the expression as
tan58 = Vo/ax*t - ay/ax. Now solve for t.

This formula gave me the right answer.

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an equation that can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. It represents a straight line on a graph.

2. How do I solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you can use the properties of equality to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides of the equation by the same number.

3. What are the steps to solving a linear equation?

The steps to solving a linear equation are:

1. Simplify the equation by combining like terms.

2. Isolate the variable term on one side of the equation by using the properties of equality.

3. Solve for the variable by dividing both sides by the coefficient of the variable.

4. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Can a linear equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear equation can have more than one solution. This happens when the equation has an infinite number of solutions, meaning that any value for the variable will make the equation true.

5. What is the difference between a linear equation and a quadratic equation?

The main difference between a linear equation and a quadratic equation is the degree of the variable. A linear equation has a degree of 1, while a quadratic equation has a degree of 2. This means that a quadratic equation can have two solutions, while a linear equation can only have one solution.