How Do You Solve an ODE Involving Changing Tank Volume and Concentration?

• Thread starter irNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Stuck
In summary, the conversation is discussing a mass balance equation for a tank with changing volume and concentration, and the need to simplify the equation using the Laplace method.
irNewton
I am trying to solve this ODE and am stuck on this step! It is a mass balance of a tank where the volume and concentration are changing by time

Fin*Co - Fout*C1 = d(C1*V)/dt
Fin*Co - Fout*C1 = d(C1)/dt * V + d(V)/dt * C1

where V = A*h (area and height, where area is constant and height is changing with time)

Fin*Co - Fout*C1 = d(C1)/dt * Ah + d(h)/dt * A * C1

I understand you need to take the laplace somewhere...don't know where though!
Any ideas on how I would go about simplifying this?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to have two unknown functions, C1 and V, but only one differential equation.
You cannot solve a single equation for two unknowns.

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical systems and phenomena in many fields of science and engineering.

What types of problems can be solved using ODEs?

ODEs can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including growth and decay, motion, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and many others. They are particularly useful for systems that change over time, such as population growth or velocity of a moving object.

What are the steps for solving an ODE?

The general steps for solving an ODE are: 1) Identify the dependent and independent variables, 2) Determine the order of the equation, 3) Rewrite the equation in standard form, 4) Find the general solution, 5) Apply initial or boundary conditions to find the particular solution, and 6) Check your solution for accuracy.

How can I tell if my ODE has a solution?

Not all ODEs have a closed-form analytical solution. Some may require numerical methods or approximation techniques to solve. It is important to thoroughly analyze the problem and the given information to determine the feasibility of finding a solution.

What resources are available for help with solving ODEs?

There are many resources available for help with solving ODEs, including textbooks, online tutorials and courses, and software programs. It can also be helpful to consult with a math or science tutor for personalized assistance with specific problems.