Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Help solving a Polynomial

1. Jun 18, 2017 #1
    I need this solved for x:
    y' = 4ax^3 + 3bx^2 + 2cx + d = 0

This is to say, I need the formula for the "critical points" of a Quartic function.
    Wikipedia says: "The derivative of a quartic function is a cubic function."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_function

And I found the above derivative here:
    http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/EMT668/EMAT6680.F99/Glazer/essays/HTML/quartinfsola.html

Any help solving it would be great (it is beyond my ability).
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 18, 2017 #3
    No kidding. Tricky is definitely the word for it.

I've previously read and re-read that whole page already, and unfortunately, I'm clueless with any high-level math. So it would be impossible for me to use the general cubic equation as an example for me to do the same math tricks to the above cubic.

I typically Google until I find what I need. Meaning, I need a website to say "this is the formula for XYZ" (and the formula need to be in a form that does not have many Greek letters). Otherwise, I keep searching. It all comes down to: Can I convert it to computer code?

Therefore, any spoon-feeding would be greatly appreciated.

5. Jun 18, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If you have no numbers for ##a,b,c,d## then you're stuck with the giant formula I quoted. There is no easy way in this generality.

6. Jun 18, 2017 #5
    Looking closer at it. That's just crazy.
    How can a simple derivative explode into something that big?

I'm just going to "graph" my Quartic's into a data set and then search for highs and lows instead.

Sorry to waste your time.
    Thanks anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted