1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Solving Statics Problems

1. Aug 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I do not have a problem in general to discuss. Just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions into helping me solve statics problems. We are currently working equilibrium problems in 3 dimensions. I don't have a problem with the math as much as just setting up the equations. I am struggling recognizing the x, y, and z components. I find myself writing the z components for i (or x) and vise versa. I am getting the signs incorrect also. I know you guys need more info to help but I really don't know how to put it into words.

Any general suggestions for me that you all have used when working statics problems in 3-D????

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2007 #2
    The best thing to do is to practice. Even naturally gifted mathematicians and physicists are nothing without practice. If you wanted to be a great basketball player you would practice all the time, same for physics. Do 5-10 more problems, and come back with some specifics that need clearing up.

4. Aug 30, 2007 #3
    Adopt one sign convention, and using that, find the force in the x, y and z directions. Since force is a vector quantity, the direction (or the sign) matters. This is where the sign convention comes in. Decide the sign according to the convention you have adopted, and stick with it all the way through.

5. Feb 7, 2011 #4
    Hello,
    Im abhishek, i could not solve the problem below. It is related to math.

Forces propotional to AB, BC and 2CA act along the sides of the triangle ABC taken in order; show that the resultant is represented in magnitude and direction by CA and that its line of action meets BC at a point X where CX is equal to BC.

If any one find the solution of this froblem then please reply to my email stormxeron_borgir@live.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?