Duplicate Post: Hi Guys, See Below Thread

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Brinkley23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi Thread
In summary, the average acceleration for a car of mass 400kg is 12.73 m/s² and requires 6092 N of resistive force to reach 200 km/h. To maintain constant speed at 300 km/h, the car would need a force of 2000 N.
Brinkley23
Homework Statement
Car with mass of 400kg accelerates from 20km/h to 200km/h over a distance of 120m. Friction and wind resistance forces can be assumed to be 1000N during acceleration.
Relevant Equations
4 equations for linear motion to find displacement, initial velocity, final velocity and uniform linear acceleration.
Hi guys see below thread (duplicated by mistake).

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I have made an attempt to answer the 4 following questions:

Car mass 400kg accelerates from 20-200km/h over a distance of 120m. A resistive force of 1000N is to be assumed during acceleration.

determine:
a) the average acceleration from 20km/h to 200km/h
b) time taken to accelerate from 20km/h to 200km/h
c) the tractive force to provide this acceleration, considering the additional 1000N resistive force.
d) the power output required to maintain constant speed if the car reaches 300km/h with a resistive force of 2000N (i had no idea how to do this)

See attached images for my attempts at each of the above.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 145
  • bcd.jpg
    bcd.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 139
It seems to me that your answer to b) is incorrect, as your equation and numbers do not match.
Always check your units at the end.
My answer is 3.93 seconds.

Your answers to a) and c) seem to be correct.
Nevertheless, I would improve the expression to show what is actually happening.
##Average~acceleration=(F_{tractive}-F_{resistive})/m##
My values are ##12.73~m/s^2## and ##6092~N## respectively.

I can't see all your work on d).
Why don't you have any idea?
Power is the product of force and velocity in this case.
If you work your velocity to show in m/s, you wil obtain Joules/second or watts when combined with Newtons.
My values are ##166.7~KW## or ##223.5~HP##.

Note how you need a greater tractive force to accelerate than to keep a constant speed.
Note also that the actual acceleration and resistive forces are not constant in real life, as they depend on the square of the speed.
That is the reason for the problem to give you average values for both.

Likes Brinkley23
Thanks for replying Lnewqban, After spending some more time familiarising myself with the equations I seemed to understand it much better and I too came up with those final values, which confirms I must have done something right and corrected my initial mistakes.

Thanks again!

Likes Lnewqban
You are welcome. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of the "Duplicate Post" feature?

The "Duplicate Post" feature allows users to create a copy of an existing post or page on their website, saving them time and effort in creating new content from scratch.

2. How do I use the "Duplicate Post" feature?

To use the "Duplicate Post" feature, simply go to the post or page you want to duplicate, click on the "Duplicate" button, and a copy will be created with the prefix "Copy of" in the title. You can then edit the duplicate as desired.

3. Can I duplicate multiple posts or pages at once?

Yes, you can select multiple posts or pages and use the "Bulk Actions" dropdown to duplicate them all at once. This is useful for duplicating a group of related posts or pages.

4. Will duplicating a post or page affect the original version?

No, duplicating a post or page will not affect the original version. The duplicate will be a separate post or page with its own unique URL and content.

5. Is there a limit to how many times I can duplicate a post or page?

There is no limit to how many times you can duplicate a post or page. However, having too many duplicates may clutter your website and affect its performance, so it is recommended to use this feature sparingly.