Finding the Domain and Solving an Equation with Rational Functions

• Thread starter Quisquis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the largest set of real numbers on which a given function can be defined and solving an equation involving that function. The person asking for help has attempted the problem but is unsure of how to proceed. After receiving advice, they were able to successfully solve the equation.
Quisquis
1. The problem, as stated:

What is the largest set of real numbers on which the function whose rule is [tex]f(x)=\frac{3x+4}{2x+9}[/tex] can be defined? Solve the equation [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] for x.

2. The attempt at a solution

I've done the first part of the equation after realizing that "...the largest set of real numbers..." just meant the domain, but I've really got no idea what to do with the last part.

I've tried multiplying the top and bottom by the denominator... multiplying both sides to clear out the denominator. A bunch of different stuff that doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

I would really appreciate it if I could get some help as to where to go with this.

-Quisquis

Physics news on Phys.org
After clearing denominators, try to move the terms with an x to one side and the other terms to the other side. Then factor out an x and divide.

After like 20 more minutes of messing with it after your advice, I figured it out.

Thanks a lot. :biggrin:

1. What does it mean to solve for x in the equation y=f(x)?

When we say "solve for x," it means to find the value of x that makes the equation y=f(x) true. In other words, we are looking for the input value that produces the given output value y.

2. How do I solve for x in an equation?

To solve for x, you need to isolate it on one side of the equation. This means performing inverse operations on both sides until x is by itself. Remember to apply the same operation to both sides to maintain balance.

3. Can I solve for x if I only have the value of y?

No, you need to have at least one equation with two variables (x and y) to solve for x. If you only have the value of y, there are infinite possible values for x that could make the equation true.

4. What is the difference between solving for x and finding the roots of an equation?

Solving for x means finding a specific value of x that makes the equation true. Finding the roots of an equation means finding all the possible values of x that make the equation true. In some cases, these may be the same, but in others, there may be multiple roots for a single equation.

5. Are there any tips for solving equations with multiple variables?

One tip is to try and eliminate one variable by using substitution or elimination methods. Another tip is to simplify the equation by combining like terms or factoring. It may also be helpful to draw a graph or create a table of values to visualize the relationship between the variables.