Help:Specific Heat and Electromagnetic radiation

In summary: More radiation would need to hit the surface to cause a change. And hotter objects take longer to cool down.So basically, because darker colors absorb more radiation than lighter colors, they take longer to heat up and give off more heat. And because hotter objects take longer to cool down, they need more radiation to cause a change in temperature.
caribjewel
Please help uncloud my understanding

#1.Why does the Earth cool off much more quickly when the weather is clear than cloudy?
My foggy understanding: The cloud cover “traps” the heat energy radiated from the Earth because water has a high heat capacity, and so takes a longer time to heat up and pass on the heat energy by conduction to the rest of the atmosphere and space. It also reflects some of the energy absorbed back to the earth, which helps keep the Earth warmer.

#2. Why are lighter-colored clothes more comfortable than darker colored clothes in a hot climate?
My foggy understanding: Darker-colored clothes absorb more wavelengths of electromagnetic energy than lighter colored clothes and thus, transform them into more infrared or heat energy, which is emitted to the wearer. This is the cause of their discomfort. Thus lighter colored clothes have a higher heat capacity than darker colors: it takes more energy to raise their temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Absorption/radiation have nothing to do with heat capacity. A white shirt reflects light and heat capacity has to do with absorbed heat.

Simply put, a white shirt reflects energy instead of absorbing it and transferring it to you. A black shirt absorbs it, heating up the shirt, then you.

Clouds block/reflect both visible and infrared radiation, making it harder for the ground to cool at night.

Thanks Russ:smile:

Now how does the heat capacity of the clothes relate to the energy emitted by the Sun?
My foggy understanding: Lighter colored clothes have a higher heat capacity than darker colored clothes because it takes more energy radiation to raise the temperature of light colored clothes than for dark colored clothes of the same dimensions[mass, area etc]. More energy needs to be radiated to the lighter colored clothes because they reflect more energy per unit mass.

Am I correct?

heat capacity

Not really,

The heat capacity of an object has got to do with the energy it has to ABSORB to get a specific increase in temperature. So when an object reflects radiation very well, this doesn't say anything about its heat capacity...

what ideas do you get when you think about cooling ?

first thing that comes in my mind is the Evaporating system.

evaporation is influenced by 4 things..

Air movement, Temperature, * HUMIDITY *, Area exposed

more humid it is, it would slow down the evaporation process.

1. What is specific heat and how is it measured?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is measured in units of joules per gram degrees Celsius (J/g°C) or calories per gram degrees Celsius (cal/g°C) using a calorimeter.

2. What is the relationship between specific heat and temperature?

Specific heat and temperature have a proportional relationship. This means that as the temperature of a substance increases, so does its specific heat. This is because it takes more energy to raise the temperature of a substance with a higher specific heat.

3. How does specific heat affect the heating and cooling of objects?

Objects with a higher specific heat require more energy to heat up and therefore take longer to warm up. On the other hand, objects with a lower specific heat cool down faster because they release heat more quickly.

4. What is electromagnetic radiation and how does it relate to specific heat?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is transmitted through space in the form of waves. Specific heat is related to electromagnetic radiation because the amount of energy given off by an object (in the form of radiation) is dependent on its specific heat.

5. Can specific heat be changed?

Specific heat is an inherent property of a substance and therefore cannot be changed. However, the specific heat of a substance can vary depending on its state (solid, liquid, gas) and temperature.