Solve Centripetal Force for m_1 in Frictionless Table

In summary: HINT: equate T from one equation to the other. Find v in terms of m_1, m_2, g and r.)In summary, the problem involves finding the speed at which mass m_1 must rotate in a circle of radius r in order for mass m_2 to remain hanging at rest. The forces acting on both masses include weight, tension, and normal force. By setting up equations for each mass and equating the tension forces, the speed can be solved for using the formula T = m(v^2)/r.
klm
[SOLVED] help- speed

Mass m_1 on the frictionless table of the figure is connected by a string through a hole in the table to a hanging mass m_2.

With what speed must m_1 rotate in a circle of radius r if m_2 is to remain hanging at rest?

2laa4ch.jpg

i know i am suppose to show what i have done, but i really have no idea how to start this problem. any help would be great.

i know that weight( Fg) and tension are working on M2
and that Fg, tension, and normal force are working on M1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well circular motion seems to be involved. What do you know about that?

umm.. F=ma, for circular motion F=m V^2/r
and acc points toward the center

So you know the force acting on m1 is the weight of m2. How fast should it rotate so the centripetal force balances the weight?

i don't know? i don't understand

i know that speed=distance/time ...but i don't know how to figure this out

good.. now that u know this much.. think ahead. Hint: this centripetal force, that u have written, will act on which body.. and would be provided by which force? You are almost there, believe me, just get a pen and notebook.. and work it out! :)

speed = dist/time .. will incorporate more unknowns (irrelevant for the present problem)!
Well, u have already got a relation involving speed... u urself posted it above.. think on that equation.

well i think the centripetal force will act on M1 and the force is provided by M2, since it is kind of pulling it down. but i don't understand what i am suppose to do next. i don't know what formula to use..

F=m V^2/r ? so i know the force acting on it is M1..? so square root (Fx r) = v? i don't know?

I practically told you what you have to do. I'll make it clearer. Equate the weight of m2 with the centripetal force.

Last edited:
i appreciate you trying to help me, but it is pretty obvious i am confused and don't understand what to do

hmm.. here is a good news: all formula reqd. for this problem have already been quoted in the threads above, u don't need anymore! :)
and ya, one more thing.. u r right that, it is because of m_2, that m_1 has a tendency to be dragged towards the hole.. but it can help (and this approach generally helps while solving dynamics problems).. if u think in this line: m_2 is being pulled upwards by the tension in the string (and not exactly m_1) and m_1 is being dragged towards the hole by tension in the string (and not exactly m_2)!

You have m1 which is attached to m2 by some string. The weight of m2 (i.e. [itex] W=m_2g[/itex]) is acting on m1 via the string. What you're asked to do is find out how fast you need to rotate m1 so that its centripetal force cancels the weight of the first mass m2.

Is that any clearer?

Last edited:
basically, i m trying to break the whole system in two different (although, related through tension) sub-systems.

okay i think i am understanding. this may be a dumb question but i have to make sure, the centripetal force is acting on m1 correct?

saket- i understand the way you explained it about m2 being pulled up and m1 being pulled down. so does that mean the tension in both are the same then?

so for m2 , would this be correct or necessary : Fnety= T - W = m V^2/r , T-mg=mV^2/r

centripetal force, by definition, is cocerned with circular motion, and not linear motion. [For linear motion, m.(v^2)/r, as r tends to infinity.. centripetal force tends to zero!]

Yes, tension in both should be same -- that comes basically from frictionless table.

i don't mean to interrupt but i need help 2 please.

For m_2, its radius of curvature tends to infinity (it can only move up-down => linear motion), therefore as explained above, centripetal force for m_2 is zero! Here it also true, because, v = 0 for m_2. (It is at rest, right?)

ineedhwhelp said:
i don't mean to interrupt but i need help 2 please.

If you need help then start your own thread.

saket said:
For m_2, its radius of curvature tends to infinity (it can only move up-down => linear motion), therefore as explained above, centripetal force for m_2 is zero! Here it also true, because, v = 0 for m_2. (It is at rest, right?)
yes.

ohh haha i should have noticed that! thanks though!

ok so i am still confused about where to go from here. i know for m2, Fnety= t - mg = mv^2/r
and then for m1 i know that fnet= m v^2/r. and that m1 w= m1g, so fnet= m1g V^2/r

i don't know -- maybe i m trying to over-help! still, i do not want u to have any confusion.. when we use the centripetal acceleration formula [viz. (v^2)/r], we are concerned with speed and radius of curvature of the particle in question. Therefore, speed and radius of curvature are different for m_1 and m_2. Do not take 'r' as the radius of curvature of m_2. It is in linear motion. 'r' is radius of curvature of m_1 because it is in circular motion with radius 'r'.

Well, go through the following carefully, and try to figure out where you got confused. (It would be a good idea to post whatever confusions u had, later in this thread. Also, try to post what u learned. -- These are for ur own benefit, believe it.)

m_2 is acted down by force due to gravity ( = m_2.g). But, it is hanging at rest => the net force on it must be zero. Only other force acting could be tension in the string. Therefore, T = m_2.g
Consider m_1. In vertical direction, weight and normal force cancel out each other. Now, m_1 is in circular motion. Therefore, it must have a centripetal acceleration, given by (v^2)/r. This acceleration can be provided to it only through the string. Thus, T = m_1.(v^2)/r.
I hope from the above two equations u would be able to conclude, the required speed.

no i understand that i think.. ! i know that m1 and m2 are two sep. , but they have a relationship with each other b/c m2's tension is pulling on m1. i just don't understand how to relate the two to solve the problem.

ok i have another stupid question- do weight and normal force always cancel each other out for centripetal force?

saket please don't take this personally but I do not think you're helping much. I'll reiterate again.

The force on m1 is the weight of m2. This has to be balanced by the centripetal force of m1. Thus the weight of m2, must equal the centripetal force of m1.

are you saying that m2= m1 v^2/r

so m2g= m1 v^2/r

klm said:
are you saying that m2= m1 v^2/r

Almost. Remember weight is the mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

[tex] W_2 = m_2g [/tex]

Can you work out v from there?

square root (m2xgxr/ m1) = v ?

klm said:
square root (m2xgxr/ m1) = v ?

Yes. Sorry I wasn't clearer earlier.